HRX217K4HYA starts fine then dies after about 2 min

ammodave

Threads
This is a 5 yr old mower that was running fine when I put it away last fall. I did not winterize so the stale gas sat in there all winter. Drained the tank and bowl and added fresh gas. Started fine and then died after about 2 min. Tried removing the gas cap to see if that was the problem, no change. Tried running the engine on straight carb cleaner using a separate fuel line, no change. Removed carb and cleaned according to directions on the web, no change. At this point I'm considering just replacing the carb (they're cheap). Thoughts? Best place to buy a new carb?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
you need to find out if you're losing FUEL or SPARK.
to see if it's a fuel problem, do the following.
Have you can of carb cleaner handy, remove the air box cover and air filter, fire up the mower. when it starts to die, spray the carb cleaner directly into the carburetor (you can't miss it), if keeps on running, it's a fuel/fuel deliver problem. If it dies, most likely you're losing spark. I would try replacing the spark plug first with a new one. if not, then a new coil.

Honda Tech

Threads
I would first make sure you have a steady flow of fuel to the carburetor. If not, there is a small fuel strainer that fits inside the neck of the fuel tank outlet. Remove the fuel line and it will slide out. Clean or replace.
If you have steady flow and it starts right back up after it dies, then it is most likely a fuel issue. But start with the basics. Replace the spark plug! If that doesn't resolve it, then the carburetor and gaskets would most likely resolve the issue.
After 5 years of use, it is possible the valve clearance is too tight now and the valves need adjusting. May be a good time to give your local dealer a little business.

ammodave

Threads
Tried running the mower while squirting carb cleaner thru the air cleaner intake, no change. Switched to a new plug, problem went away. I had previously checked the old plug and it was clean and properly gapped. I hate it when the solution is this easy. At least I have a clean carb now. Thanks for the advice Scrubcadet!

JBtoro

Threads
Glad it got solved. If it comes back, I kinda suspect the coil. Sometimes the heat from the engine exposes weakness in the coil which could explain why it runs for awhile & then dies. I mean, it must be getting fuel because it starts & runs for at least 2 minutes. Aftermarket coils on Amazon are also pretty inexpensive, around $15. Plus, if the coil isn't the problem, you can return it.