hrx217hma manual choke not working

maxter21

Forum Newbie
Threads
Bought a used mower and after trying the usual carb cleaning I found that the manual choke is not closing. When you move the lever from fast to choke it is very hard and the choke arm only moves about 1/8 inch. The choke barely starts to close. Could use some help on this.

Bertrrr

Threads
Disconnect the cable first and see if it's moving freely , these cables rust up internally over time , if ends up being the cable , pull both ends off and pull it back and forth around something round and lube it up good , it should free up , or buy another

maxter21

Forum Newbie
Threads
The cable is working fine. The problem seems to be the top tab on the choke lever can't open the choke because the bottom tab on the same arm is up against a cam. I hope that makes sense.

Bertrrr

Threads
Something must have slipped on that lever action I suppose, pictures would help - Maybe just swap the carb with a new, I just got one for 14$ or thereabouts on Amazon for my Briggs

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Something must have slipped on that lever action I suppose, pictures would help - Maybe just swap the carb with a new, I just got one for 14$ or thereabouts on Amazon for my Briggs
The cable is working fine. The problem seems to be the top tab on the choke lever can't open the choke because the bottom tab on the same arm is up against a cam. I hope that makes sense.
Take the carburetor off and inspect it. See if you can free up the choke so it is fully opening and closing before buying a cheap Chinese carburetor.

bogdaN

Threads
I had same problem and good lube fix that.Spray that tab and move all parts by hand with out cable.work for me.

maxter21

Forum Newbie
Threads
It works!! Thanks for the great advice guys. I took everything apart and lubed the arms and then I saw that the cable was not pulling back far enough to engage the choke. I loosened the cable clamp, moved it back and everything works now. Thanks for your help.