HRX Wont idle down correctly

de3

Threads
I have a 6 year old hrx217 with app 650 to 700 hours,Last year i started noticing that when i go to idle it down it would take a few before the rpms would drop and sometimes stall,it starts first pull and at full throttle it runs perfect,I replaced all the carb gaskets thinking it might be sucking air,didn't fix it

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
At that age the carb is probably leaking air around the shafts .
No fix other than replacing the carb or just living with it.

Reactions: de3

de3

Threads
At that age the carb is probably leaking air around the shafts .
No fix other than replacing the carb or just living with it.
I've already bought a new OEM Carb and it never fixed it.....just wondering if it choke related

Honda Tech

Threads
If you have that many hours on it, have you ever adjusted the valves?? Should be done every 100 hours. 0.006" Intake and 0.008" Exhaust. Start with the simple things. May need to get a new valve cover as they are sealed onto the cylinder.

de3

Threads
If you have that many hours on it, have you ever adjusted the valves?? Should be done every 100 hours. 0.006" Intake and 0.008" Exhaust. Start with the simple things. May need to get a new valve cover as they are sealed onto the cylinder.
Yes sir,Valves have been adjusted and yes the cover was a bear to get off.....it runs perfect at full throttle.......the funny thing is that my choke flap never opens completely opens up and after a good hour of mowing i can reach down and open the choke flap all the way and it doesn't run quite as smooth......I also replaced the wax thingy....

1saxman

Threads
Not trying to be a wise guy, but since there is no utility in mower at less than about 2000 RPM, does it matter if it won't idle? I have a Lawn-Boy 22271 with the Honda GSV 190 (Commercial OHC) and it wouldn't idle for the first 8 years or so either. After changing to premium gas with Startron in it and using synthetic oil, suddenly it will idle. Of course its completely academic because - there's no use for an idling mower.

Honda Tech

Threads
Not trying to be a wise guy, but since there is no utility in mower at less than about 2000 RPM, does it matter if it won't idle? I have a Lawn-Boy 22271 with the Honda GSV 190 (Commercial OHC) and it wouldn't idle for the first 8 years or so either. After changing to premium gas with Startron in it and using synthetic oil, suddenly it will idle. Of course its completely academic because - there's no use for an idling mower.
You are correct. The majority of mowers on the market now are fixed throttle and only run at a set RPM. No throttle cable and less problems. My only concern would be that there could be something wrong with the governor if it is supposed supposed to idle, but doesn't.
As for the choke, is sounds like it is operating exactly like it should be as long as it is opening almost all the way and you are not fouling spark plugs. Honda is adamant that the Thermowax is installed with HondaBond HT as it is filled with aluminum powder to assist in heat transfer, which is what is needed for the Thermowax to operate correctly.

de3

Threads
I agree,I'm not going to mess with it///