HRR216VLA warning

Boit4852

Threads
I want to share info on this model. It's an electric start model that I bout as gift for my sweetheart. What I didn't realize was that this model has no throttle control. Yep. You start it cold and it goes right to full engine speed. I had no idea that Honda would build ANY machine without a throttle. Really Honda??? Most of us know that 90% of engine wear occurs upon start-up. Having the engine start cold and immediatelty go to full speed accelerates that wear. I should have looked much more closely at this model's specs before I bought. Shame on me and Honda.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Please show some respect to the intellegence of the readers.
The engine does not go to full throttle.
It goes to high idle as dose every other mower engine since about 1970 when they all became governed.
If it really urks you the pull the starter 20 times with the mower turned off.
It is a lawn mower, not a 16 cylinder race engine.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And you can blame the no throttle cable on the EPA because the no adjustable throttle engines came about in the early 2000's due to tier 1 emissions if I remember correctly. When it first happened the biggest complaint I received from customers was no throttle cable ,and they would try to add a throttle cable, but found the engine would not run properly at a lower than governed engine speed.

This took place because it was easier for the engine manufacturers to meet emissions standards with a single speed engine since the engine only has to meet emission standards at that speed. If it has a throttle cable, then the engine has to meet emissions standards from idle to full engine speed. Also the second effect of this was since the engine only has to run at one speed the idle circuit of the carb was removed and created a single jet carb which is the reason that will not run properly at less than the governed engine speed.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Some of the older Honda 21 inchers had 2 throttle settings, Tortoise and Hare. That created confusion with people trying to mow in Tortoise mode because everyone knows that the Tortoise wins the race.

tadawson

Threads
This is one of the reasons I just rebuilt my HR215 . . . . I will *NOT* buy any OPE that subscribes to this stupidity! I looked at new Hondas, and to get an actual throttle, metal deck, GXV engine, ball bearing wheels, blade brake, etc. (as I enjoy on the HR215), I would be into the HRC216 commercial line at over $1200! A couple hundred to refresh the HR215 (included engine rebuild as well) and I am far better off for much less, and should be good for another 25+ years . . .

gotomow

Threads
My new Simplicity snowblower has a throttle control. Wonder why snowblowers can have them? I'm thinking that cost is the main reason Honda discontinued throttle controls on their mowers. A dollar here and a dollar there adds to their bottom line.

tadawson

Threads
My new Simplicity snowblower has a throttle control. Wonder why snowblowers can have them? I'm thinking that cost is the main reason Honda discontinued throttle controls on their mowers. A dollar here and a dollar there adds to their bottom line.

The Honda HRC commercial line still does. I suspect that a combination of $$$ and the lesser GCV engines is the factor, not any regulation per-se.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
we who repair mowers and in my case tries to get 100 year old motorcycles know just how hard it is to tune an engine so it simply runs, let alone runs between a very fine pair of emission limits.

When it comes to mowers, they are required to run at a set ( Governed ) speed.
There is no reason to ever run them slower than this speed.
The shape of the blades, the shape of the deck and the speed of the blades are all matched to work together efficiently.
Add to that product liability means that mower companies get sued if you open the discharge chute with the engine running at full speed and a rock or stick flies out & hits you.
So the domestic models for the idiot stupid brain dead average mug pushing a mower over their grass with their mind 1,000,000 miles away have 2 speeds, full & off.
Thus to remove the catcher you have to turn the mower off.

Professionals have their mind on the job.
They watch what they are doing and understand fully what is going on.
They also empty the catcher 20 times a day.
They will recognise a patch of sandy soil that needs to be mowed at a slower speed .
Add to that, professionals are covered by workers compensation insurance and are less likely to do something bone stupid, injur themselves then sue the mowr company because their own stupidity has caused them a financial loss.

So there are two types of villians that cause this to happen
1) Beauricrats making legislations for the purpose of pretending to be doing their job ( Most EPA )
2) Lawers getting massive payments for people who in reaity should be admonished for their own stupidity & be compensating every one else for their cost to the community.

gotomow

Threads
we who repair mowers and in my case tries to get 100 year old motorcycles know just how hard it is to tune an engine so it simply runs, let alone runs between a very fine pair of emission limits.

When it comes to mowers, they are required to run at a set ( Governed ) speed.
There is no reason to ever run them slower than this speed.
The shape of the blades, the shape of the deck and the speed of the blades are all matched to work together efficiently.
Add to that product liability means that mower companies get sued if you open the discharge chute with the engine running at full speed and a rock or stick flies out & hits you.
So the domestic models for the idiot stupid brain dead average mug pushing a mower over their grass with their mind 1,000,000 miles away have 2 speeds, full & off.
Thus to remove the catcher you have to turn the mower off.

Professionals have their mind on the job.
They watch what they are doing and understand fully what is going on.
They also empty the catcher 20 times a day.
They will recognise a patch of sandy soil that needs to be mowed at a slower speed .
Add to that, professionals are covered by workers compensation insurance and are less likely to do something bone stupid, injur themselves then sue the mowr company because their own stupidity has caused them a financial loss.

So there are two types of villians that cause this to happen
1) Beauricrats making legislations for the purpose of pretending to be doing their job ( Most EPA )
2) Lawers getting massive payments for people who in reaity should be admonished for their own stupidity & be compensating every one else for their cost to the community.

Hmmm.... But what about my snowblower? It's also required to run at full throttle. The reason for having it is to be able to throttle down to do something like move a stick, frozen newspaper, etc then throttle back up and move that EOD pile of snow. So I still feel the overwhelming reason is cost, cost, cost.

gotomow

Threads
Honda is very conscious of their cost per machine for any given machine within a category. Take for example their high end snowblowers. At over $3000 one would think they would include handwarmers on such an expensive machine. Handwarmers are found on many less expensive machines. Well nope, that would be a no.