HRR2168VYA - Splayed front wheels and surging

OklahomaDave

Threads
I have a Honda HR216-series mower (specifically HRR2168VYA) that has two problems, and I'm hoping I can get some help here.

First, the front wheels have "splayed" out. I don't think it's the wheels themselves, but rather the mounting brackets. I suspect I might get some straightening if I applied a long bar clamp, but I think that's at best a temporary solution. Is there a better one? The wheels are probably 10-15 degrees out and the interior of the wheels is running smooth, like a tire on a car with really bad toe-in.

Second, and more frustrating, is an ongoing case of surging after starting when idle (but not under load). This has happened essentially for as long as I've owned the mower; I replaced the carburetor myself originally after I got into a fight with the local vendor over my effort to get a warranty repair - and paid for *them* to fix it (which lasted about 30 minutes). I've used nothing but 100% pure gas (have a separate container for it) since I bought it. Even this year, I've taken off the carburetor, cleaned the flaps on both sides, cleaned the jet (and can see through it), cleaned the bowl (which was really already essentially spotless), but the surging persists. I'm not sure what's left to try, short of yet another carburetor. Again, once I put the thing under load (engage the blade) the surging stops. I won't say it runs perfectly, but its more than acceptable. The only thing that cleaning the carb seemed to help was it being cranky on a cold startup; it does now essentially start on the first pull.

Is running some Stabil (or some other fuel cleaner) worth a shot? What about replacing a fuel filter? I can mow with the thing, but my trick knee tells me the surging isn't good for the engine. Any thoughts appreciated.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
did you replace the gaskets when you removed the carb?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
surging is caused by a lean air fuel mixture.... either too much air is entering the fuel mix, or there's not enough fuel going through the carb... Sometimes i've had to clean those Honda style carbs several times before they come out good.. soaking them too for 24hrs.. I like to use WD40 in a trigger bottle, and saturate the intake area of the carb, all around the gaskets, and if the engine speed changes, or blows white smoke, i know there is a gasket that has failed allowing excess air into the combustion chamber.

Another thing is, (I've never seen it, but have heard of it) is that wear on the governor system can sometimes also cause an engine to surge.

OklahomaDave

Threads
After taking the carb off again and cleaning it again, it still surged like crazy. Then I saw knock-off carb kits with gaskets and a fuel line for ~$20 on Amazon, and said to heck with it and ordered one.

Got it today, installed it in about twenty minutes, fired it up and the mower now runs like a charm. Surging problem solved.

Thanks.