HRM215 K3 HXA Roto-Stop Issue

silverturbo

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am the original owner of this mower purchased back in 1995/6. It has ran like a champ until recently. I had trouble running it unless on choke which was corrected with a thorough cleaning a few years back. However it has restarted that issue (I cleaned it again last night but to little avail). I have orders some gaskets for now.

The other main issue is the roto-stop system has had issues that I assume are due to wear. It has squealed when spinning up the blade some during engagement, but now I can tell (hear) the blade is spinning slowly while the engine is a steady high speed. I have read several threads on here discussing similar situations, recalls, etc. I assume the "driven disk" part in the schematic contains the friction elements(?)

I have ordered the Honda manual which should help. Are there any other tips before I start to take it apart?

The serial # is: MZBB-6438605

Thank you.

silverturbo

Forum Newbie
Threads
I think I found the engine running issue - a bad gasket seal at the head.

Regarding the roto-stop, I have plenty of brake material left. I removed it and all looks well.

However, when you put the pulley, spring, and drive wheel back on, the pulley and drive wheel fit "tilted". I expected them to be parallel to each other. I do not see why this should be with one center bolt.

Here are some pictures:

Gap on one side
Honda02_8212013.jpg

No gap on the other
Honda03_8212013.jpg

Honda04_8212013.jpg

Honda06_8212013.jpg

Perhaps my manual will elaborate on this. Until then, any suggestions? Thanks.

silverturbo

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes, that would do it indeed. Before the manual, I just saw the "this end up" on the spring and assumed upward into the engine, not upside down engine on a bench.

I'll reassemble that and put the gaskets on tomorrow and she how she runs.

Thanks.

silverturbo

Forum Newbie
Threads
That spring was installed correctly in the original picture after all. The manual says the "up" text should be toward the engine. It works but it takes ~6 seconds to reach full blade speed and it slows down in heavier grass so the drive system is not correct. I will probably punt now and take it to a Honda repair shop.

bwdbrn1

Threads
Robert will know more about this than me, but I recall from the manual that there is a suggested limit to the wear on those two pads on the arm of the roto stop. I've seen some that show signs of elongation of that pivot hole and wear on the rod that the arm pivots on as well. Since that arm pivots on one side, and presses against the other parts of the mechanism, I think that would some what explain the difference in the gap from one side to the other since it it pressing at an angle, and that angle would increase as the pads wear down.