HR-195. 3-speed transmission issue.

JD14SB

Threads
Hello friends,

I obtained a 19" HR-195 Honda Mower from the 90's I think. I believe it's the follow-on mower for the HR-194/214 series. Lovely cast deck like my HR-194. The cable to engage the 3-speed transmission was missing. I replaced the cable and adjusted. When I push the bar to engage the drive, the transmission clicks/pops in rhythm and I can watch the cable pulse back and forth with the noise. I wondered if this is something that can be fixed? The transmission says "Spicer" on it. So I have a parts HR-214 but that's only 2-speed and longer axle shaft being a 21" version. Have a salvageable commercial 21" with alloy deck and Hydrostatic transmission. Again the longer axle.

Ideally, I'd like to fix the original 3-speed.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Three things come to mind
1) the bevel & drive gars are not meshing properly
2) the clutch has a pin which does not revolve that pressed against a gear that does so gets a poofteenth too short.
3) the wheel ratchets are in the wrong way round or stuck closed.

JD14SB

Threads
The axle for the wheels isn't turning. But sometimes whatever is clicking catches once in a while and it might propel the mower a few inches. I'm not sure how the transmission is designed but I would assume however the driven shaft (PTO) is not engaging properly. I watched the arm on the transmission for the drive engagement and it rapidly cycles in unison with the popping sound.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That leaves you with 1 & 2 assuming that the input shaft on the box is turning.
Is that the model with the solid prop shaft or a belt ?

JD14SB

Threads
The attached picture is the mower. It's a strange story. My neighbor, who is a Physician, texted me at work. Said there's a Honda mower on a sidewalk with a "free" sign on it. I told him to grab it for me (or him). He didn't want it. Gas tank was full of jelly (old gas). Carburetor was clogged. Flushed it out, changed the oil, and it started on the second pull. It pops a bit when hot so need to check valve clearance. As you can see, the plastic cover is really faded. But the transmission won't engage. The transmission is really oily so it may be leaking its lube? So yes, it's shaft drive. Tag say HR-195 D-H.

Thanks again.

Attachments

• 20200325_122749_resized.jpg
    20200325_122749_resized.jpg
    525.9 KB · Views: 7

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Last time I bought parts for one of those was 2 years ago but everything was still available through my friendly Honda dealer, eventually .
The box is quite simple to work on so don't be afraid to pull it apart.
In fact the hardest bit is getting the !#*! thing off the mower
Sounds like it needs new seals in any case and s the mower cost nothing you have nothing to loose .
I presume you have tried it in all gears ?
And are you sure you have adjusted the cable properly ?
I support the mower on a stand then adjust the cable to take up about 1/2 way on the bail , you are not just adjusting to remove the slack in the cable the clutch pushes an engagement pin in and holds it there .
So it is backwards to what you would think about as a clutch because it is an ENGAGEMENT not a dissengagement lever.

JD14SB

Threads
I 'll double check the adjustment. Does anyone know if the bolts that hold on the rear wheels are left or right-hand threaded. I got the left-wheel off but can't get the right rear wheel bolt to budge.

OK. Just went out and adjusted the cable. It still pops Like there's a dog gear on the input shaft that's not engaging. I was looking at an exploded diagram for the transmission. It looks like there is a sliding gear that engages the drive main shaft to the ring gear. Wondering if this is where the problem lies?

Last edited:

BHRS

Forum Newbie
Threads
It's a right-hand thread - same as the other one you removed. It may require a big vise grip on the axle from the underside to hold it and a 3/8 breaker bar for leverage to loosen the bolt. Hopefully you don't break it off.

The sliding gear may be worn from being misadjusted and trying to engage. You won't know until you pull it apart and inspect the parts. Most parts are still available for these.

JD14SB

Threads
I removed the transmission/axle assembly. I opened it up and found several damaged gears. Pinion, ring gear, and couple of gears for speed ratios. So not what I wanted to find. Was hoping for something simple instead of a busted up mess. Might not be easy to find a transmission for this 1993 HR-195 SX mower or what I should pay if I do find one? I could install a 2-speed drive I suppose. Never had the 3-speed but liked the idea of a middle gear. 1 seems too slow and 2 seems too fast.

Anyway, the Gearbox that failed is a 3-speed unit.

Last edited: