How to replace seat switch on JD 727A Ztrak mower

rejiii

Threads
The switch wiring snakes through the bottom of the cushion. I have removed the entire seat assembly from the mower, but I cannot see how to remove the cushion so I can get to the switch.

Born2Mow

Threads
They obviously want you to buy the entire seat !! :ROFLMAO:

Bertrrr

Threads
Safety switches typically turn out of the fit 45 degrees or so and pull from the bottom , the seat itself does not need to be messed with , might want to post some pics

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Something just don't sound right. Either it bolted in place or is a twist lock style switch assembly which actual switch can be replaced
1690758331315.png1690758394139.png1690758457724.png

rejiii

Threads
I finally got it fixed. The switch was a very specialized "pad" switch (multiple switches built into a pad that fit within a cutout on the bottom cushion) that required completely disassembling the seat cushion, positioning the pad, and reassembling the seat cushion/cover etc. The new one was $40 or so directly from the manufacturer.

None of the above pictured switches will work despite vendor claims. The 727A was obviously a limited production, compact model.

If anyone has to do this repair, contact me and I can save you a lot of time and frustration. Removing the seat cover/cushion is straight forward if you know the procedure. After removing the seat cushion from the seat frame, all that is required is a pair of channel lock pliers.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
I finally got it fixed. The switch was a very specialized "pad" switch (multiple switches built into a pad that fit within a cutout on the bottom cushion) that required completely disassembling the seat cushion, positioning the pad, and reassembling the seat cushion/cover etc. The new one was $40 or so directly from the manufacturer.

None of the above pictured switches will work despite vendor claims. The 727A was obviously a limited production, compact model.

If anyone has to do this repair, contact me and I can save you a lot of time and frustration. Removing the seat cover/cushion is straight forward if you know the procedure. After removing the seat cushion from the seat frame, all that is required is a pair of channel lock pliers.
I have seen this stupid design on other zero turn mowers. Most safety switches are pretty straightforward to replace, but there are exceptions.