How to Release Clutch without whiplash?

Blade Runner

Threads
With any front engine rider that I have used over the years, you must engage the clutch/brake to change transmission gears. I have yet to own a front engine rider that allows shifting "on the fly". My Poulan Pro is no exception.

When releasing the clutch into a faster speed gear such as 4, 5 or 6, I am unable to ease into the gear the majority of the time. As with all the front engine riders I have used over the years, it generally feels like jet airplane G forces hitting me as I release the clutch, no matter how easy I release it.

Does anyone have a technique for releasing the clutch without whiplash?

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I think that part of the problem stems from the fact that the parking brake is set really tight from the factory, causing the belts to engage slightly before the brakes release. It is about like setting the brakes on a jet airplane, throttling up, and then releasing the brakes.

Blade Runner

Threads
How can I adjust the parking brake? Do I replace the spring under the right rear fender that is at the end of the clutch/brake pedal rod, with a weaker or longer spring????

Hey that technique worked well! I just tried it. I stoppped, put it in 6th gear, THEN throttled down, THEN released the clutch/brake and it moved forward without jerking hard. Thanks!

....sorry, since I was 12 years old and for 28 years now, the only riders I used were Snapper rear engine riders. I always shifted on the fly with them. I really miss it.

midnite rider

Lawn Addict
Threads
Glad to help. Thats a good looking Poulan tractor you have with the front bumper brush guard. :thumbsup:

msaeger

Threads
Is shifting on the fly bad? I have a rear engine craftsman and I can just change gears on the fly but I don't if that is bad or not. You can do it in a manual transmission car but it's not a good idea.

Blade Runner

Threads
Glad to help. Thats a good looking Poulan tractor you have with the front bumper brush guard. :thumbsup:

Thanks. I ordered the guard from the Craftsman website. It is Craftsman/Sears item no. 71-246213. The actual guard has a model no on it of 486 246213. It was $43 including tax (they also have a cheaper silver version and a more expensive chrome version). I had it shipped to local sears. It has very heavy and large diameter tubing with the coolest simple latch system to unlock it to allow the hood to fully open or lock it back in place. Website says it will only fit craftsmans, but you only need two bolt holes on the frame in the front to attach the bracket that attaches to the guard. It fit perfectly on my Poulan. See pics below of a front view and a side view locked and a side view unlocked (it can move much further down in unlocked mode but the garage door was in the way).

Attachments

• Poulan Pro Headlights Off.jpg
    Poulan Pro Headlights Off.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Poulan Pro Brush Guard Closed.jpg
    Poulan Pro Brush Guard Closed.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 5
  • Poulan Pro Brush Guard Open.jpg
    Poulan Pro Brush Guard Open.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Blade Runner

Threads
Is shifting on the fly bad? I have a rear engine craftsman and I can just change gears on the fly but I don't if that is bad or not. You can do it in a manual transmission car but it's not a good idea.

When I got my Poulan Pro I could shift on the fly but did not know if this model was made to do that. The experts on this site said, no, I needed to engage clutch before each shift. I finally found my operators manual online and it confirmed what this site said. ....if the experts do not comment, check your owners manual if you have it or find your model and product numbers on the mower and search for operators manual. In other words, it depends on the specific model you have.

chad22

Threads
My Dads Troybilt Pony lawn tractor does that. I guess it doesn't want me riding it. lol :laughing: