All good posts. I use synthetic in my car and truck, but they have to be started all year long from zero to 100 degrees, I don't mow if it's too hot. I do think air cooled motors can and will run hotter, so if I wasn't using the lawn mower oil (which says it is for air cooled motors), I would use synthetic. For the 20 ounces my Kohler takes, it's probably under a dollar per oil change to go to synthetic. I'll look at the Rotella, but it's a diesel oil, and make up my own mind.
I think we all agreed that a quality oil, of the right viscosity, changed often enough, and filled to the proper level is key to long engine life.
All good posts. I use synthetic in my car and truck, but they have to be started all year long from zero to 100 degrees, I don't mow if it's too hot. I do think air cooled motors can and will run hotter, so if I wasn't using the lawn mower oil (which says it is for air cooled motors), I would use synthetic. For the 20 ounces my Kohler takes, it's probably under a dollar per oil change to go to synthetic. I'll look at the Rotella, but it's a diesel oil, and make up my own mind.
I think we all agreed that a quality oil, of the right viscosity, changed often enough, and filled to the proper level is key to long engine life.