How to make Honda HRA214 carb's throttle spring back to idle

isaksp00

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / How to make Honda HRA214 carb's throttle spring back to idle
OK, I give up. I removed and cleaned the carb, and after reinstalling it, the throttle plate does not rotate back to the idle position even when the throttle lever is at idle. It is basically at full throttle no matter what position the lever is in. I am almost certain it isn't the position of the throttle cable as the off switch works when the lever is pulled to STOP and the choke engages when the lever is pushed to FULL. I can't figure out what spring or other mechanism is supposed to make the plate go back to the idle position (plate almost closing throttle throat). In fact, I can remove the spring that lets the throttle actuator pull on the arm that advances the plate to higher speeds and it still doesn't rotate to idle. Maybe there is supposed to be a spring under the plastic arm on top of the throttle plate axle? I can't see one there. If so, is it possible to repair, as I don't see any obvious way to remove the plastic arm or the throttle plate. Thanks.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
locate your complete model & serial numbers from this page then click on your model & see if illustrated parts breakdown will help.
Did you remove or loosen bolt & nut at governor arm bolt? item 14 ? I'm just using website below as example.

Last edited:

isaksp00

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks. I had seen that parts breakdown, and unfortunately it does not show how spring 3 attaches from the bottom of the governor arm to the control assembly part 5. I have it in the upper of the 2 holes on the downward arm. Though the engine runs as below whether it is in one or the other hole.

I did remove the governor arm to see if the retainer clip behind it had anything to do with pushing the throttle back to idle, but I put it back and made sure the retainer bolt is tight. It does swing fore and back, limited by the amount the pivot pin it's on can move.

It occurred to me that maybe the throttle is pushed to idle only when the engine is running. Now that the carb has been cleaned I was able to start it. It revs quite high and does not return to idle position even when the lever is set to idle. The lever does stop the engine when pulled all the way back and chokes it when all the way forward. I can move the throttle by hand from the top of the carb and it seems to run OK when forced to idle but revs pretty high if I let go. There is evidently some sort of governor mechanism that I don't understand. Maybe the pivot pin that supports the governor arm (which appears to go inside the crankcase or block) has something inside the block that is supposed to govern to idle speed?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
you probably need to adjust the governor after removing the governor arm.

isaksp00

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks, I was fooling around with it this morning and finally realized that, also after looking at the parts diagrams for the cylinder, which show the existence of the governor connected to that arm. I was able to adjust the arm's position on the pin and got the revs down quite a bit, possibly a bit too low now. That arm is very hard to adjust as you hold the pin in small increments, unless there is some trick I haven't figured out. I tried adjusting the lock nut so the arm can be moved with some friction, but have found it either lets the arm move easily or not at all.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Is it a GCV engine?