How to find TDC on B&S L head

You may not need rings being you used water. Years ago when lapping was more common it was so problematic that a special detergent was developed to use in conjunction with a scrub brush to clean the parts of residue. Today a car wash would be handy.

It was found that when using solvents of a petroleum nature the compound was not being removed well. I've personally seen it happen in 2 automobiles and several lawn mowers. One of the autos was a pickup I bought pre owned at a ford dealer. It wore the rings and ring grooves so bad the rings actually broke. Top ring in several pieces. That's when I discovered what that strange whistle sound was. I didn't know rings could whistle but they can. The tune is just mono tone and boring.

Here is hoping your cleaner overhaul will make a good engine.
 
More "cleanliness is next to Godliness"... Rivet's tip on the kleenex wipe reminds me of what I do to gasket surfaces before...e.g. RTV bead . A light colored clean tight weave rag ...spray brake cleaner on rag and rub until no more dark residue is removed. Keep repeating. You might be surprised how many applications it takes to see no more dark stain. (Crime stopper for the day) :laughing:
 
Back
Top