How to be a tightwad with warranties

slumlord

Threads
Just a few ideas here about how to redeem lifetime warranties. First, a product should be well built and one you like. I will feature three related to yard work.
Gilmour company has a yard sprayer that is well thought out and durable. After many years of swing the spray wand back and fourth,eventually the wand loosened up and leaked. One phone call and they gave me a brand new unit from the hose on out. They also sell Flexogen garden hose. Same deal one call and they ask you what length hose you have and it is replaced.
The Rubbermaid company made a great trash can called the Roughneck. I bought ten of them when on sale for 10-13 dollars back in the day. I called in the warranty when the cans started to split,and the service rep said I needed a receipt. I told her that when I bought the cans,it was understood that you cut out the manufacture code number for warranty number and that was considered the receipt. She said I was correct,so I recited the code # to her, so I got a 25.00 certificate [Thank you,Lord for having a good memory} That certificate was enough to get a new commercial Rubbermaid. BTW,the new model of the Roughneck is a disaster --do not buy it.
Later,I found that the old pattern Rubbermaid can was being sold by Menard's lumber yard. It is the same as the old one and still has the lifetime warranty. Oddly enough,the heavier commercial can [the Brute,I think] has a much shorter warranty. I caught the Menards can which I consider the equal of the Brute on sale and actually made money after the store rebate.
Some products need to be registered online when first purchased for a warranty,some you need a receipt--- make sure you read the requirements and do what is required. Moen faucets are an example of required registration,but their warranty service is great! I even keep track of my compact florescent lightbulbs and get free ones when they do not last thru the warranty period.
Told you I was a tightwad.
Any other good products you know of that have good warranties,feel free to post the products or ideas. Thanks.

midnite rider

Lawn Addict
Threads
Fiskars sent me a brand new lopper free of charge, when the old one I had handle broke. No receipt needed, just my word that I would throw the old broken lopper away. A great company that stands behind their product no questions asked. :thumbsup: