How much weight is too much?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
As I said on a earlier post wheel weights and chains. I have the same Wheel weights 55 LBs. each. I have tryed it without chains but that didn't work you need both. I only put 10psi air in the tires. When I first got the 12 hp Wheel Horse I tryed to push the snow with a blade bur couldn't mover nowhere as much as with the snow blower. With a blade you would have to add more weight. At one point I was going to install tractor style tires but was told whey are no good for snow. I could really use a little more HP when the snow gets heavy.

tankdriver

Threads
If you are putting on wheel weights, it does not really matter as you are adding no weight to the frame or axles, just the tire. I have 2 55lbs weights on my PGT9000.

kermit911

Threads
That is the conclusion I have come too. The next step is trying to find a good set of wheel weights that don;t cost me $70.00. :confused2:

sfestus

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello, I have owned my tractor (If it is classified as a tractor 917.273460) for almost 10 years and this will be the first year I am going to use it for snow removal. In reading a lot of posts, one of the big problems is not enough weight and the tires start to slip. There are wheel weights and bucket weights, and chains but what is the limit of weight before you start to damage the tractor? I weight a healthy :eek: 250 pounds with 5 gallons of fuel under my seat, so that's another 55 lbs. Plus 45 pound wheel weights times 2 and a 50 pound bucket weight in the back. Totaling 445 pounds (if I did my math right :smile:) Now where is the breaking point for the axles / hydrostatic drive / frame / etc.? Now when I say breaking point I mean damaging them, not actual snapping in two. :thumbsup:

Thanks
Dave

Any recommendation for a first time snow removal run? I have never done this before and could use any information all you vets have for me. :biggrin: I leave in two days to pick up a snow blower 842.240510 and chains. $220.00

Hi...Dave...If I'm correct this is a 10 year old hydro trans...If so...then the chains and your weight should be enough for the job. The hydro pumps have to work harder the more load/weight put on it. Even wheel weights won't be necessary. My recomendation is that chains plus your weight should be enough. Also with a hydro go very slow with snow if you want the trans to last. My last recomendation is to get an extra drive belt for the blower assembly. It's a few extra bucks, but they are very long, and have a bad habit of being thrown, or breaking(they work VERY hard). Nothing like having a broken belt and not being able to get out of the driveway.....good luck

benski

Threads
According to your serial number you've got a 2003.