how many of you repair small engines as a hobby? $$

twinfords

Threads
  • / how many of you repair small engines as a hobby? $$
sold three mowers today, i picked up another JD 14SB and a Toro key start 20041 Personal Pace. pics tomorrow. played on my Ford 1210 as well.

twinfords

Threads
here is what i did today, sold one mower Craftsman self propel. i fixed or tried to fix all of the equipment below, also a pic of my new JD14SB

equipment 004.jpgequipment 007.jpgequipment 014.jpgequipment 018.jpgequipment 022.jpgequipment 026.jpgequipment 031.jpg

twinfords

Threads
i got these two ready to go today, hopefully i will have some folks wanting to buy mowers mowers 002.jpgmowers 004.jpgthis week.

twinfords

Threads
well i sold the Husqvarna tractor (for the second time) the 1st guy who wanted it never came through with the $$, i sold the Yard Man with the caster wheels, had a customer pick up his chainsaws, he dropped off a snow blower. Had a looker stop by (baught nothing) i fixed a mower that has a slight bent shaft, fixed a mower with the valve seat popped out. picked up two Toros (one is a 1983 18" and 20016)and a 12.5 engine and a pressure washer. fixed the two Toros already.

twinfords

Threads
well the one Toro 20016 is fixed, the other older Toro has a leaking main seal, but now runs. i fixed a snow blower, rebuilt carb and reinstalled the starter motor, replaced engine on a push mower as well as a Statesmen rider tractor. JD68 006.jpgJD68 002.jpg

theoldwizard1

Threads
I have been retired for 5+ years and got into small engine repair because I am a cheap S.O.B. !!

I have a tiny garden (10x20) but always wanted a tiller. Found an old one that didn't and bought it for $20. 5hp B&S horizontal. Replace the rewind one-way clutch mechanism. Disassembled the carb. That is when I discover ChemDip ! I figured the points were shot and then I discovered there was a cheap electronic ignition "upgrade" kit. When I pulled the flywheel I found the "root cause". Sheared crank key ! After fixing all of these issues it ran like a champ !

A month or so later, I bought another tiller. This one was a Wards/Gilson. Much better than the other one and probably only 40 years old instead of 50 ! :laughing: Cleaned the carb, install the Magnetron electronic ignition and even spray painted the engine. Runs great.

I do basic maintenance on 3 mowers in the family (son-in-law barely knows the right end of a screw driver).

I inherited a Toro S200. I can't get the needle to seat so I'm just going to get a rebuilt carb off of eBay. Currently fighting with a Kohler Courage XT7. I have read here that the needle/seat is bad design and I need to buy a replacement carb.

twinfords

Threads
I have been retired for 5+ years and got into small engine repair because I am a cheap S.O.B. !!

I have a tiny garden (10x20) but always wanted a tiller. Found an old one that didn't and bought it for $20. 5hp B&S horizontal. Replace the rewind one-way clutch mechanism. Disassembled the carb. That is when I discover ChemDip ! I figured the points were shot and then I discovered there was a cheap electronic ignition "upgrade" kit. When I pulled the flywheel I found the "root cause". Sheared crank key ! After fixing all of these issues it ran like a champ !

A month or so later, I bought another tiller. This one was a Wards/Gilson. Much better than the other one and probably only 40 years old instead of 50 ! :laughing: Cleaned the carb, install the Magnetron electronic ignition and even spray painted the engine. Runs great.

I do basic maintenance on 3 mowers in the family (son-in-law barely knows the right end of a screw driver).

I inherited a Toro S200. I can't get the needle to seat so I'm just going to get a rebuilt carb off of eBay. Currently fighting with a Kohler Courage XT7. I have read here that the needle/seat is bad design and I need to buy a replacement carb.

great story Wizard, i to love my Garden and yard, also cutting fire wood, standing dead or fallen trees only, Yes those old Montgomery Wards/Gilson tillers are beasts. i have one also with the 4 tilling settings. soil buster etc. i also changed ober to electronic ignition. what a beast of a tiller.

twinfords

Threads
well i sold Poulan push mower and sold the Stihl 034 & Stihl MS 260 Pro (never had a chance to put in wood) yesterday. fixed homelite back pack blower, picked up Husqvarna self propel mower and Stihl MS170 to fix. i have lots of work to do/

twinfords

Threads
Well I sold three mowers today but got two more in return, one is the Lawnboy and one I sold in May and bought back from the guy, he is moving to Ca. It is a Craftsman Honda. I also listed the Statesman tractor today. Fixed a chainsaw and Husqvarna mower and built a Toro 20016 out of two mowers.

twinfords

Threads
here are a few pics of the Statesman and Lawnboy of course after a good cleaning etc. statesman 001.jpgstatesman 002.jpgstatesman 006.jpgstatesman 008.jpg