How many of us can relate to this?

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
Found this while passing time. This might not be the best forum for it, but it does involve a Jacobsen Estate. Yes, it does bring back some memories I can relate to.

MOW RIGHT WOMAN, MOW RIGHT MAN | Freestyle Lead | Cleveland Scene

That's a good read. :thumbsup:

Here's a quote I totally agree with:

I do not approve of riding mowers.

The author, Erin O'Brien, notes exceptions for over one acre lots and disabled people. I'll go with that. :wink:

This isn't in the article but it's a shame that so many people use big, expensive, complex riding mowers while they're desperately in need of exercise.

I think the word "estate" is used more in the British sense -- where it doesn't imply that the owner is particularly wealthy.

fastback

Threads
Good read, thanks for sharing. I also started cutting the family lawn at a early age. We lived on a 3/4 acre lot and used a 19-inch mower to do the cutting. I think the worst part of the job was starting the engine. I had to wrap a starter rope around a pulley and pull as hard as I could. It might take a half dozen tries before it finally started. The part that I really hated was when the knot on the end of the rope would turn into a whip and get me in the back, shoulder and even the head. Boy that smarted. It brings a tear to my eye when I think of it:laughing:

As for riders I have no problem with them I have 4 of my own. What does get me is the people with the very small lawns that try to do everything with the rider. Somethings are done better and more effcient using the proper equipment, like a hand mower. I have 3 of them. Oh, I cut around 2 acres with a GT.

bwdbrn1

Threads
"This isn't in the article but it's a shame that so many people use big, expensive, complex riding mowers while they're desperately in need of exercise."

I've gotten into collecting old reel mowers, and they surprise me how fast they go, even at idle. This explains why all those people pictured in the ads for them back in the day were all skinny! Darn things were lawn mowers with an exercise program built in!

"What does get me is the people with the very small lawns that try to do everything with the rider. Somethings are done better and more effcient using the proper equipment, like a hand mower."

I can't say I know what the guy's situation health wise was, but I watched in sort of an amused horror as a fellow not far from where I live tried desperately to maneuver his rider between the power pole and under it's support wire that was on a boulevard in front of his house along one of our city's major streets. All the while scalping the heck out of the mounded boulevard. It looked like an accident waiting to happen. I thought he was either A. going to decapitate himself on the wire, B. wedge the rider between the wire and pole to the point he'd never get it out, C. wind up upside down along the curb in the passing traffic. A couple of weeks later I saw the rider out in his front yard with a for sale sign on it. I guess he found the rider to be more work than it was worth.

mullins87

Threads
I started mowing my grandparents yard when I was 6. I don't remember what brand of mower it was, but only that I was so short I had to push it from the middle brace on the handle.

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
Here's my childhood memory of mowing... I liked the idea of mowing (or anything else outside) as opposed to having indoor chores to do but I hated the mower we had. It was electric and to mow our small yard I had to move the cord around for each of three separate areas. :mur:

I never made any headway in convincing my parents that a gas mower would make more sense. :laughing:

As soon as I got the idea to mow lawns for money (I think I was 12 or 13), I bought a gas-powered mower.

fastback

Threads
I didn't like cutting grass very much either. I had three sisters and they had the inside duties. My job was to care for the outside. Dad worked a couple jobs. After using the 19-inch for a period of time and not really liking it. I wanter to get something bigger, but my Mom told me we could not afford a new one. So when I turned 16, I got a summer job and bought a used Simplicity walk benind tractor with a 24 inch mower. The cost was $125.00 . The tractor was a 1955 and this was in 1965. The motor was a 5 hp B&S, cast Iron block. This thing would cold start on the first pull. I still have the tractor although it has not run for many years. Might make a good winter rebuild.

This is another part to my first input.

slimbo

Threads
oh boy that was sure good reading ,,,,,using estate in the late 70's working in clevelands finer suburbs,,,and this was to fitting ,,,, blue smoke as thick and acrid as anything Republic Steel had to dish out, which, by 1977 Cleveland standards,,,the houses in the neighborhood fleet street were black