How Low To Cut The Grass

GeorgeR

Forum Newbie
Threads
We are cutting bermuda at 3 inches right now.

The study might work in a class room but not out here in the real world.

The class room is on golf courses, seed farms, sports fields and multiple lots in varying conditions. It is taught to agronomists and to the professional turf industry as a whole. A commercial mower may have business reasons to mow longer than the recommended height for a specific species but that doesn't mean it is optimal. The recommended cut for Bermuda can vary between Common bermudagrass and Hybrid varieties with a finer texture such as Tifway 419.

If you want to go against every credentialed professional in the industry and recommend cutting outside the established recommended height range, it might be helpful to identify the type of Bermuda you are cutting and why your real world is right and everyone else is wrong in spite of multiple real world tests and trials. A simple search will produce pages of hits from multiple sources, including commercial lawn mowing professionals, scattered with additional warnings of the damage to Bermuda cutting too high can cause.

Mike88se

Threads
3" to 4". I didn't read all the posts but I bet somebody pointed out the reasons to cut most lawn grass this height. I see so many lawn care guys cutting the St Augustine around here like its a putting green. I wonder if the customers ever wonder why their grass is more brown than green.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
3" to 4". I didn't read all the posts but I bet somebody pointed out the reasons to cut most lawn grass this height. I see so many lawn care guys cutting the St Augustine around here like its a putting green. I wonder if the customers ever wonder why their grass is more brown than green.

We cut the grass higher then what the people that do not cut grass for a living day we should so that it stays green.

On a golf course the putting greens are cut every day. The rest is cut every couple of days so the grass stays green because they only trim 1/8 of s inch off it.

If I was to cut any type of bermuda at two inches it would have turned brown 2 months ago.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
The class room is on golf courses, seed farms, sports fields and multiple lots in varying conditions. It is taught to agronomists and to the professional turf industry as a whole. A commercial mower may have business reasons to mow longer than the recommended height for a specific species but that doesn't mean it is optimal. The recommended cut for Bermuda can vary between Common bermudagrass and Hybrid varieties with a finer texture such as Tifway 419. If you want to go against every credentialed professional in the industry and recommend cutting outside the established recommended height range, it might be helpful to identify the type of Bermuda you are cutting and why your real world is right and everyone else is wrong in spite of multiple real world tests and trials. A simple search will produce pages of hits from multiple sources, including commercial lawn mowing professionals, scattered with additional warnings of the damage to Bermuda cutting too high can cause.

First you do know that bermuda is a weed not a grass. And when it becomes a foot tall it is then called hay.

The tests you are talking about is in a controlled environment.

You can not compare a golf course that trims the grass every couple of days to a home owner that cuts every other week.

There are plenty of people that keep their Bermuda at 2 inches and 90% of the lawns look like crap.

It is very unhealthy to keep Bermuda at or under 2 inches when you go weeks with no rain. Or if you cut it every two weeks.

Show me a study that they cut 70 yards a week and still say to keep it 1 to 2 inches.

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
You are disagreeing with the UK recommendations' yet cutting within their recommended range?

You seem very irritated and defensive!

Not disagreeing. Never said I did. Just gotta watch out with scientifical studies sometimes.

It is simple logics to mow high to retain moisture. It is written in many places on the web, books and more. I've even experienced it in my youg age when i was mowing too short.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thing about scientific studies. You will find a well funded good reputation group getting one result. While another well funded reputation group finding the exact opposite thing. It's kind of our own discretion as to what we believe. And for some of us what we see and experience is what we believe.

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thing about scientific studies. You will find a well funded good reputation group getting one result. While another well funded reputation group finding the exact opposite thing. It's kind of our own discretion as to what we believe. And for some of us what we see and experience is what we believe.

Welcome to the world of Psychology! Psyclones doing reasearches in labs and concluding some wacky stuff sometimes.

bt3

Threads
I was in Hawaii a few weeks ago for business and was looking at the grass used at Condos there. Because it's Hawaii, you aren't going to have any grass dying out over the winter since winter is 80 degrees and sunny.
I would SWEAR they were using Crabgrass as lawn and cultivating it. I know....It's probably El Toro Zoysia variety, but damn it looks JUST like Crabgrass. Feels like it too. Not pleasant to walk on. This was everywhere there was full tropical sun.

Anyway, they cut it 2". I actually measured.

Some deeper shade areas had what looked like St. Augustine. Beautiful. Better than I have ever seen.

I have a place in Florida and I know Zoysia, but this variety in Hawaii really blew me away. You'd SWEAR it was Crabgrass!

Mike88se

Threads
I was talking to one of my neighbors the other day. He was asking how much I charge for this lawn and that lawn and how often I cut. I told him I like to cut once a week and not too short. I asked him why his lawn guy cuts his grass so short. He said that it only needs to be done every 2 weeks that way and saves him money. I told him that's why his grass is mostly brown. He said I don't care and walked off :laughing:

Lawn Addict
Threads
Mike88se - I guess it takes all kinds....:laughing: