How Does one Compete with the Zero Turn Guys?

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
I tried advertising in past for lawn mowing etc. I only got 2 calls and took both jobs. I dont have any zero turns but plenty of front riding mowers. So how does a guy with front engine riding mower compete with zero turn guys? How you know if your charging too much or not enough when mowing with riding mower? I see alot guys doing it in my area and dont see how I could draw in the business if started advertising again for lawn mowing.

Threads
The key for me, only using push mowers, was to just start small an build your way up through word-of-mouth and quality work. I work primarily in 1 neighborhood, and was doing 25 lawns a week in the peak if the season. There are other professionals that have a few houses in the neighborhood, but it's gotten to the point that everyone knows me in the neighborhood.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I tried advertising in past for lawn mowing etc. I only got 2 calls and took both jobs. I dont have any zero turns but plenty of front riding mowers. So how does a guy with front engine riding mower compete with zero turn guys? How you know if your charging too much or not enough when mowing with riding mower? I see alot guys doing it in my area and dont see how I could draw in the business if started advertising again for lawn mowing.

How do you want to compete? Are you talking about advertising or with equipment? You said you tried advertising, how did you advertise and what did you charge for the lawns you have. How far you want to take your business should dictate what you should have for equipment.

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
How do you want to compete? Are you talking about advertising or with equipment? You said you tried advertising, how did you advertise and what did you charge for the lawns you have. How far you want to take your business should dictate what you should have for equipment.

Riding mowers, pushmowers, and string trimmers for equipment. Got Mantis for tiny/small gardens and flower beds. I advertised on craigslist that was about it. Now I'll advertise anywhere thats free to advertise.

LoCo86

Threads
Riding mowers, pushmowers, and string trimmers for equipment. Got Mantis for tiny/small gardens and flower beds. I advertised on craigslist that was about it. Now I'll advertise anywhere thats free to advertise.

I believe we have had a discussion before on this topic about looking professional and actually being prepared to handle a job efficiently. It's as if you're showing up with an axe to clear a forest. Sure it will do the job but it's not the right tool for the job. And potential clients will see that and just look past you to get the contractor with the right equipment that has become the industry standard.

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
I believe we have had a discussion before on this topic about looking professional and actually being prepared to handle a job efficiently. It's as if you're showing up with an axe to clear a forest. Sure it will do the job but it's not the right tool for the job. And potential clients will see that and just look past you to get the contractor with the right equipment that has become the industry standard.

Commercial clients yes but not on residential clients. When I mean residential I mean the ones that arent landlords and dont have multiple yards to take care of. People in my area dont care how nice its cut longs gets cut and trimmed.

mowerman05

Threads
They sure did give you a hard time in other places didn't they.:confused2:

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Riding mowers, push-mowers, and string trimmers for equipment. Got Mantis for tiny/small gardens and flower beds. I advertised on craigslist that was about it. Now I'll advertise anywhere that's free to advertise.

Commercial clients yes but not on residential clients. When I mean residential I mean the ones that aren't landlords and don't have multiple yards to take care of. People in my area don't care how nice its cut longs gets cut and trimmed.

Ok I guess my question would be are you doing this as a sideline to make a little extra cash or are you trying to establish a business. If it's a sideline then your fine because you have no pressure or time restraints. If however it's to establish a business then I'd say your in a little trouble. As an LCO you need to establish an hourly income and many LCO's establish that based on how many accounts they can do on an hourly basis. In lawn-care time is money, you have to be good at what you do and fast.
When you talk about what to charge you need to check and see what the area can stand. Check with some company's and find out about there pricing structure. There's no need to try and compete with the guys with the ztr mowers don't worry about them, that type of equipment will come in time or as you build your business.

I'd Look at Vista-Print and do my advertising with business cards, they always have those things for like 250 for $10.00 you can put what ever you like on the cards and they have all types of mower cards to choose from.