How did you get your first mower?

I was just starting a family and bought a 1 acre lot and a mobile home to put on it. The days before zoning laws. Living paycheck to pay check as mechanic at a car dealership. Back in them days you could start a credit account at Sears. Bought the cheapest rider mower Sears had on the monthly payment plan. As I remember that lot had a lot of stones and rocks on it and that mower caught hell.
 
My first one i got was free from my grandpa he bought it new in 1973 it was a old old wizard ( western auto ) push mower it was 22 inch cut 3hp had no spark and has sat for a long time.

I put in new points and condenser rebuilt the old vacu jet carb and soaked the tank to clean out the gunk.it ran good but smoked i lapped the valves and changed the oil twice because it was sludged up pretty bad.

It finally quit smoking i put a new blade on it and changed two front wheels it worked like a charm after that i used it about 2 yrs it developed a heavy oil leak from the oil seal. i ran it dry and stored it away i have not tried it since. that was 4 yrs ago.

I need to pull it back out and give it try im sure it will need everything since it has been setting with no gas in it for 4 yrs now :laughing:
 
I can honestly say that i never needed one until 12 years ago(my age is 56 now). I moved in with my now wife, and she had 2.25 acres that we mowed with a 25 year old snapper 21"push mower that lasted another 3 years before the deck broke. after that it was a 32" cut 6 HP rider no-name brand
 
My first mower was a hand me down Snapper push mower that I got when I was a young lad back in 73. I pushed that old Snapper up and down our road that summer cutting neighbors yards for a dollar or two if I cut the front and back yards. Had a lot of old widows whose yards I cut that always would fix me a cold drink to cool down. :smile:
I still remember the day going with my Dad to the Snapper dealer in the 60's when he bought it new.
 
I traded a buddy of mine some parts for his Chevy s10. In return got his husqvarna RER mower. I got it home. Changed the oil.plugs.airfilter. ect and mower for 3 hours and fought a rock in the spindal asm. That blasted everything apart in the deck including the blade. It also punched a huge hole in the deck. Well when I was at the husky healer I totaled up 300 bucks in parts. Then the guy tried to sell me a husky 455 rancher chain saw. I decided I had enough of that place so I left. And drove home jumped on Craigslist and bought my simplicity 6211. Messed with that for a week or so. Got that running and by the end of the year I had found every rock on site. And I smoked out 4 belts.
 
i bought a big box store JD from a neighbor for $500. thats what started my mowing business. since then i traded it for a 48" JD. i have up gradedonce more and sold that and bought a 54" toro proline
 
Back
Top