How can you take off the blades on a ztr?

I'm an older fellow and I use an Ariens ZTR. I frequently sharpen the blades. I use an automotive floor jack to lift the front and then place floor stands underneath. I use a socket and a 1/2" cheater bar and off they come!
I really don't understand the difficulty. Probably, 15 minutes.
 
An impact wrench makes life much easier. Be it electric, cordless or air driven. Not just on ZTR's either.
 
You fellas have a world of experience I don't possess.

So, if I'm reading it right, zero turn blades are installed so tightly the average man (me) has to have an impact wrench set up (I don't) to loosen the blades enough to get them off?

And, once the blades are changed, (assuming you can even get them off at home) you have to have special equipment to re-tighten the nuts to spec.?

If this is so, and I have to return my mower to the dealer to change out blades, I'll be re-thinking the whole idea of buying a zero turn mower.

As it is, I swap out the blades on my lawn tractor every 25 hours or so. Which I'm able to do at home, no sweat, and I don't worry about using a torque wrench. I just tighten by hand what I feel is tight enough and away I go... As much as I mow, it isn't feasible to bring the entire mower to the dealer every time this is needed - or am I not reading this subject correctly?

Thoughts?

No you don't necessarily need an impact although An impact wrench would make life much easier. What I said was you're not going to change your blades laying on the floor trying to work with a 4.5 inch clearance. You need some type of jack, something like the MoJack EZ Mower Lifts | Hand Trucks| Lift Accessories | Hand Truck Accessories | MoJack makes life easier and you can do things right.

If you're swapping out the blades on your lawn tractor every 25 hours or so with no sweat, you shouldn't have any problems with a ZTR.
 
I've never used anything other than an adjustable, box end type or a socket wrench and thought all impact wrenches were air powered. I just this morning learned they're cordless varieties and corded and AIR. Who knew? (obviously, not me...)

Of course, I don't know a heck of a lot about mechanics, just oil changing/new air filter changes, zerk greasing and other ordinary maintenance stuff that doesn't require a lot mechanical know how, just common sense, a willingness to get dirty and work up a sweat...

That said, it sounds like I can change out and re-tighten blade on a ZT with a corded impact wrench once I safely elevate the deck. (I do not want to go the dealer for this)

Since I have no impact wrench knowledge whatsoever, I'm guessing once tightened with one that'll be good enough.

Right?

Thanks!
 
by the way my fav tool lately has been my ryobi 1/2 inch cordless 18v(li) impact wrench. A little over 200 foot pounds and it has worked great. That being said... I usually use a wrench, when I cant move it any more... it is tight enough. I guess if my owners manual had a torque spec I would use my torque wrench.
 
I've never used anything other than an adjustable, box end type or a socket wrench and thought all impact wrenches were air powered. I just this morning learned they're cordless varieties and corded and AIR. Who knew? (obviously, not me...)

Of course, I don't know a heck of a lot about mechanics, just oil changing/new air filter changes, zerk greasing and other ordinary maintenance stuff that doesn't require a lot mechanical know how, just common sense, a willingness to get dirty and work up a sweat...

That said, it sounds like I can change out and re-tighten blade on a ZT with a corded impact wrench once I safely elevate the deck. (I do not want to go the dealer for this)

Since I have no impact wrench knowledge whatsoever, I'm guessing once tightened with one that'll be good enough.

Right?

Thanks!

I'd think twice about a corded or cordless impact gun, although they're great for somethings you have too remember you'll be dealing with nuts and bolts from 15/16 to 1 1/8th inch in size. Both my Cub Cadets are 1 1/8 inch and the Toro is 15/16".
If I wanted to make life easy I'd go air impact.
 
Thats good thinking having all of those other sets

I myself would rather lay down on the floor once and get it done, not take the blades off, sharpen them and then get back down there to install them. At $30-$35 a set, I don't think it is that hard to keep a few extra set's hanging on the wall ready to go.
I make it a point that when I swap out a set to sharpen the ones I just took off right then or before long I would have a set ready the next time and it only takes 5 or 10 minutes to sharpen the set anyway.
 
If you already have a chain hoist, try that route. Also there's a lift bar thing I saw on a website that works with a chain hoist, but it only fits John Deere Z series. Was way cheaper than a Mojack but you gotta have a hoist. Google search ztlift or try www.ztlift.weebly.com
 
Back
Top