hotwire my snapper ignition switch bypass

warrenpeas

Threads
i have an old series 6 with the 3 prong ignition switch. is there a way to test the ignition switch to see if it is bad? If i jump the solenoid with a screw driver it turns the starter and starts fine and I replaced this solenoid 2 years ago with a new one. If i take the wires out of the back of the ignition switch is there a way i can connect them together to bypass the switch to see if it activates the solenoid?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes & No .
The key switch connected the Battery terminal to the Start terminal
SO you connect the B & S wires together .
The letters should be on the back of the switch.
BE extra careful because if you connect any power to the M terminal you will destroy the magneto.

However that is just the start of it
The 12 V then has to go through the PTO switch, the brake switch & the Neutral switch ( if the mower has one ) before arriving at the solenoid to trip it and supply current to the starter.
IF you have a solenoid with only 1 small terminal near the base then it grounds through the base so you need to have a good contact there as well.

warrenpeas

Threads
This is the solenoid. which wire can i test for 12v to see if the issue is the ignition switch, the fuse or something else? The small red wire running to the terminal on the right?
snapper solenoid.jpg

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That looks correctly wired
The small wire on the left of the photo should go to battery voltage when the key switch is in the start position
Take the ground wire off & polish the frame where the lead sits polish the bolt, the nut & use a new washer
Paint over the whole lot with liquid electrical tape to prevent corrosion .

warrenpeas

Threads
61yXbxqLITL._SL1000_.jpg

actually that was an old picture. i replaced this solenoid with a new one wired the same way and it worked for a year then the ignition switch got bumped a few times and keeps coming unplugged because the leads are kind of loose im just trying to rule out that it is not the fuse or a short in the wire leading to the solenoid. can you tell me how to test the ignition switch with multimeter? This is the ignition switch.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
We did not get that mower down here
Your switch has 4 terminals , the ground is done with the riveted tang so this switch ground via the body

Off M + Rivet
Run B + the other terminal
I assume there is a stand alone start button.

warrenpeas

Threads
no you just turn it to start like in a car. turn it off like in a car. the pull start will not work unless it is in the run position and when its running turning the key off still kills the engine like it should

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sorry,
We do not get Snappers down here so I am not that familiar with them
Usually i can ut out most of the electrical problems but I can not see how this thing can work.
If it was pull start only then the terminal that is obscured would be run terminal that holds the carb solenoid open & recharges the battery
We have a few local mowers wired like that but they all have a start button.
Hopefully some one more conversant with Snappesrs will chime in.
If not after a day or so reply to your own post with
"Any one else please "

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If the terminals are loose that needs to taken of first as it can cause lost contact at those points.

warrenpeas

Threads
i have continuity between Battery and Solenoid leads and between Magneto and ground so i dont think the issue is the ignition switch anymore.