Walk behind Honda, Vintage 1993 versus 2013

Giblet

Threads
New member and first time poster.

The pictures below are my brand new 2013 HRX2174_HYA and 1993 HRM215_SX. So, you ask why am I showing two mowers? My '93 HR215 has run ever so faithfully for the past twenty years and four months with two part replacements...rear wheels with it's ratchets and a tranny cable. Then, a month ago, I went to sharpen the blades and upon first looking at the underside, one would think I'd struck an oil well. The crankcase seal let lose and lucky enough she only lost enough oil to barely show on the dipstick. Not knowing what exactly had happened i.e. cracked crankcase, etc. I purchased the new HRX, all the while the grass keeps on growing.

Nevertheless, after buying a flywheel belt, I replaced the crankcase seal ($5.00 part) spending hours cleaning the Roto-Stop clutch and the rest of the underside with degreaser. What a mess with the crank throwing her 10W30. At the same time, I noticed the bottom side of the valve cover gasket was giving out and this was replaced too. Nevertheless, we now have two wonderful machines albeit a literal father/son combo, if you will. After this surgical procedure, the HR215 runs like it did when she arrived off the showroom floor twenty years ago.

giblet 1.jpg giblet 2.jpg giblet 3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

dfbrown

Threads
New member and first time poster.

The pictures below are my brand new 2013 HRX2174_HYA and 1993 HRM215_SX. So, you ask why am I showing two mowers? My '93 HR215 has run ever so faithfully for the past twenty years and four months with two part replacements...rear wheels with it's ratchets and a tranny cable. Then, a month ago, I went to sharpen the blades and upon first looking at the underside, one would think I'd struck an oil well. The crankcase seal let lose and lucky enough she only lost enough oil to barely show on the dipstick. Not knowing what exactly had happened i.e. cracked crankcase, etc. I purchased the new HRX, all the while the grass keeps on growing.

Nevertheless, after buying a flywheel belt, I replaced the crankcase seal ($5.00 part) spending hours cleaning the Roto-Stop clutch and the rest of the underside with degreaser. What a mess with the crank throwing her 10W30. At the same time, I noticed the bottom side of the valve cover gasket was giving out and this was replaced too. Nevertheless, we now have two wonderful machines albeit a literal father/son combo, if you will. After this surgical procedure, the HR215 runs like it did when she arrived off the showroom floor twenty years ago.

giblet-albums-honda-pix-picture16714-newandoldlawnlevel-reduced.html

giblet-albums-honda-pix-picture16715-newandoldsideview-1-reduced.html

giblet-albums-honda-pix-picture16716-newandoldtoplevel-reduced.html
That is cool that you have those mowers as they were and are some of the best mowers built for there times. I will tell you and maybe you will agree that the old hr215s are a little bit better built but the new hrx217 is lighter, more forgiving, more hp for sure in high grass and cuts-mulches way way better then the old stuff. just my opinion. Good luck with those machines as they are great ones to keep a long time.:thumbsup:

Threads
For being 20 years old the one mower sure looks great! And of course the HRX does, too! :tongue:

Giblet

Threads
Thanks for the accolades. Let's be honest, on the first pic I posted, with grass view, don't they look like two Indy cars on Row 1?

Since I replaced the crankcase seal, the '94 HRM hasn't seen any action although this weekend, her ponies will get the exercise. You ask, "Giblet, which mower are you gonna use this weekend?" Tough answer as they both excel at certain things. The '94 HRM picks up leaves very well due to it's lower deck but the new HRX brandishes two more horses and mulches nicely. It's a toss up...maybe.

bwdbrn1

Threads
You've taken very good care of that HR215SX. Wonderful mower. I use one myself, and love it. I've transformed it from and SX to an SM and most recently to an HM.

Giblet

Threads
The attached picture shows the striping the 1994 HR215 performed yesterday after installing the new crankcase seal two weeks ago and she performed beautifully.

HR215_Striping.jpg

Giblet

Threads
These show the underside of the '94 HR215 after crankcase seal installed and then, put back together again.

Attachments

• NewSealIn.jpg
    NewSealIn.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 35
  • BackTogether.jpg
    BackTogether.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 33

Giblet

Threads
These show the valve chamber of the '94 HR215 with its first look at the outside world in twenty years. And the other picture is the underside of the new HRX after it's very first thirty foot pass out of the box:

Attachments

• HR215_ValveChamber.jpg
    HR215_ValveChamber.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 33
  • UnderHRX_2.jpg
    UnderHRX_2.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 34

Giblet

Threads
You've taken very good care of that HR215SX. Wonderful mower. I use one myself, and love it. I've transformed it from and SX to an SM and most recently to an HM.

Was wondering how you "transformed" your HR215SX to an SM then to a HM? Pix's of the conversion and what did that cost?

bwdbrn1

Threads
I sourced the parts to make it electric start from other mowers I've come across. I've been a fan of the HR214 and HR215 line of mowers for a long time and have a pretty good collection of parts from them on hand. I purchased the hydro transmission on ebay. There are a lot of other smaller parts for controlling the transmission that are specific to the HM version that you have to change over as well, and I purchased those new from my local Honda dealer. Sorry I can't say for sure how much it cost because many of the parts came out of the inventory of parts I have on hand. Basically, I compared the parts diagrams and lists of the various models, reviewed the service manual, and started adding and switching the parts to make it into an HR215HM. I do know that I wouldn't even consider it if I had to get all the necessary parts to do this new from Honda.