Honda Owners Group

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hind-sight is always 20-20............

debrag1

Forum Newbie
Threads
I bought a brand New Honda HRX217HYA two months ago to replace my 11 year old Honda, same model. I loved my old Honda, I figured I deserved a brand new one, but the new one I got from Home Depot had a big issue right out of the box. After adding the oil (of course), I got one mow out of it and the next week, I couldn't even pull the cord to turn over the engine. It felt almost siezed. I finally gorilla'd it into moving and it about pulled my fingers off when the compression retracted the cord. I was furious!

So, took it back to Lowes for a refund and ordered another one. 4 days later, I assemble the second HRX217HYA walk behind, with blade stop and hydrostatic drive, and mowed the lawn twice without any incident. Then tried mowing for the third week and Wammo! Same friggen problem with excessive compression not allowing me to pull the cord! I rechecked the oil level - it was fine being only 3 weeks old. Checked under the deck, nothing but fragments of mowing my manicured lawn. I was finally able to slowly pull hard on the cord until if finally started to rotate, and that freed things up enough, so I was willing to risk loosing my fingers with a hard pull and was able to start it. What in the heck is going on here? I've had this same mower for over 11 years and never a problem with starting in one or two pulls - and now I have two new ones that I can't even get to turn over.

Should I return this second mower for another refund and take my chances on a third mower?
Is there some clearance or machining issue going on in the factory with these brand new GCV200 engines?? Help!
Yes there is. The cam release is not functioning. My dealer has pulled all the new 200cc off the floor. I went in to buy a new one as my tranny on my old HRX top of the line is acting up (growling, groaning, slow ). They are replacing the Cams as the cam release is not working and cannot pull start or electric start. Most places are just selling them as Honda has not issued a recall. They are out of the mower business as of Sept 2023 but have already stopped producing............. they dont care even though they know about it....
I ended up waiting for them to repair one of their new ones and bought it. Day it got delivered I could pull the rope but would not start. Would not start w the electric start either. had the driver take it back and was refunded. The HRC216HXA commercial model has the old 160cc w manual choke not the new auto choke. That is the engine on my old residential HRX217. The commercial one is better engine and shaft drive. Get w hydraulic trnny so you dont have to push and BBC so the engine stays running when u walk away just the blades stop spinning. It is heavy and expensive but the only option really unless you find an older 160cc w manual choke, BBC and hydro tranny.

activelife92

Threads
Yes there is. The cam release is not functioning. My dealer has pulled all the new 200cc off the floor. I went in to buy a new one as my tranny on my old HRX top of the line is acting up (growling, groaning, slow ). They are replacing the Cams as the cam release is not working and cannot pull start or electric start. Most places are just selling them as Honda has not issued a recall. They are out of the mower business as of Sept 2023 but have already stopped producing............. they dont care even though they know about it....
I ended up waiting for them to repair one of their new ones and bought it. Day it got delivered I could pull the rope but would not start. Would not start w the electric start either. had the driver take it back and was refunded. The HRC216HXA commercial model has the old 160cc w manual choke not the new auto choke. That is the engine on my old residential HRX217. The commercial one is better engine and shaft drive. Get w hydraulic trnny so you dont have to push and BBC so the engine stays running when u walk away just the blades stop spinning. It is heavy and expensive but the only option really unless you find an older 160cc w manual choke, BBC and hydro tranny.
They released an updated cam gear. I had the same issue. Dealer put the updated part in, problem solved.

WIKEDDF

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yeah man. Great to know! That sucks. I've heard the HRN's are also experiencing the same problem as well? Had mine for 3 good years and use it almost everyday, it has never once had a major issue during those last 3 years of residential/commerical use. Never had the recall on mine.