Honda mower or riding mower? need opinions

mikec280

Threads
Hey guys I need your professional opinion. I've been considering buying another Honda mower as a backup. I currently have a Honda mower as my main mower and my craftsman 6.5hp as my backup.
I got my Honda due to the fact that my craftsman bogs down a lot and isnt for commercial use. I told my brother I was going to buy the $600 Honda at home depot and he suggested I get a riding mower which currently, I only have 1 yard that I could use it for. Just wanting some honest opinions here lol. What would you do? It's either one or another.

Threads
I would go with a Honda HRX....because I love mine so much. You wouldn't really get your moneys worth out of a riding mower at this point. Personally I do 0.40 acre yards with a push mower (not often, though). But if you are planning on expanding then a larger mower would make more sense. :smile:

mikec280

Threads
Yeah that's the one I want is the hrx. At this point u dont see any use of a rider as I only do residentials that aren't that huge. I think I'll stick with my plan of the hrx. I can't depend onthe craftsman as a good backup.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hey guys I need your professional opinion. I've been considering buying another Honda mower as a backup. I currently have a Honda mower as my main mower and my craftsman 6.5hp as my backup.
I got my Honda due to the fact that my craftsman bogs down a lot and isn't for commercial use. I told my brother I was going to buy the $600 Honda at home depot and he suggested I get a riding mower which currently, I only have 1 yard that I could use it for. Just wanting some honest opinions here lol. What would you do? It's either one or another.

That would depend on what your intentions are. If your planning on a few yards or doing a lot of yards. A push mower is fine in some circumstances but a rider can be very beneficial in others. You have to remember that in lawn care time is money. Personally I'd buy the rider because the craftsmen you already have is good enough for a back mower for what you are doing, with the addition of a rider you'll have the capability for larger type lawns now and in the future which will build your business. Buying the HRX gains you nothing.

mikec280

Threads
That's true Ric. Id hate to buy the mower and not really use it but if my Honda had an issue, I'd prefer not to rely on my craftsman. I currently don't need a rider but us never know. I can buy my brother's john Deere off him but not sure about it. I could always buy both lol.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
That's true Ric. Id hate to buy the mower and not really use it but if my Honda had an issue, I'd prefer not to rely on my craftsman. I currently don't need a rider but us never know. I can buy my brother's john Deere off him but not sure about it. I could always buy both lol.

If your Honda has an issue your craftsman will finish your day... Then fix the Honda unless you beat it to death your Honda should always be fixable

mikec280

Threads
Yeah that's true. I have nothing against my craftsman, it does the job but I bought my Honda because that mower would bog down at times. I still have time to figure it out.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
I think if you have the means to transport the rider you should get it with 2 push mowers and a rider you open your self to new oportunities. You will get clients that will be easier with a rider as the saying goes "if you build it they will come" or if you have it you will get them

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yeah that's true. I have nothing against my craftsman, it does the job but I bought my Honda because that mower would bog down at times. I still have time to figure it out.

What type of blades are you running on the Craftsmen and have you tried a different type of blade on the mower to keep it from bogging down?

Threads
I think if you have the means to transport the rider you should get it with 2 push mowers and a rider you open your self to new oportunities. You will get clients that will be easier with a rider as the saying goes "if you build it they will come" or if you have it you will get them

Good point.