Honda motor swap

E.Sunderland

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have, I believe an older HRN 166cc that I use around a ball field and other random places. It is my back up mower, but it’s on its last leg. I’m wanting to do a motor swap for something more powerful. It gets used and abused, so I’m not looking for a real expensive motor. I know it’s a vertical shaft, but I’m wondering if anyone has an idea what motors are a clone to the Honda motors? Say one from Harbor Freight, or a place like that.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If it has a 7/8" strait shaft with a key way then it should go on.
You will have to make up custom control cables

E.Sunderland

Forum Newbie
Threads
If it has a 7/8" strait shaft with a key way then it should go on.
You will have to make up custom control cables
Yea I assumed I’d have to fab my own cables…. So are you saying any with a 7/8” shaft will match and bolt on? Or will there need to be adjustments, new bolts tapped, etc?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There used to be 3 bolt patterns , B & S 4 stroke Honda 4 stroke & 2 stroke .
Now all of them use B & S 4 stroke
The only difference is the length of the key way cut into the PTO shaft
Mower engines are all the same length & parallel
Some generators & pumps have a taper & no key
All threads are the same

Just be careful because there is the EU engines and they have a 20mm shaft

E.Sunderland

Forum Newbie
Threads
There used to be 3 bolt patterns , B & S 4 stroke Honda 4 stroke & 2 stroke .
Now all of them use B & S 4 stroke
The only difference is the length of the key way cut into the PTO shaft
Mower engines are all the same length & parallel
Some generators & pumps have a taper & no key
All threads are the same

Just be careful because there is the EU engines and they have a 20mm shaft
Hmm… well thanks for that info. Seems like I need to do a little more research before I tackle those plan.

HurstGN

Threads
I used one of the Harbor Freight Predator motors on my old Ariens mower when the old Tecumseh motor failed. I believe it would be a direct fit for an older Honda, but wasn't a direct fit on the Ariens. Just needed new mounting holes and that motor outlasted the mower. I kept the motor because it still ran perfectly after about 5 years of use. It's a backup in case I ever need a motor. Was it Honda quality, nope. Was it good enough to get me another 5 years out of the old gal, yup.

E.Sunderland

Forum Newbie
Threads
I used one of the Harbor Freight Predator motors on my old Ariens mower when the old Tecumseh motor failed. I believe it would be a direct fit for an older Honda, but wasn't a direct fit on the Ariens. Just needed new mounting holes and that motor outlasted the mower. I kept the motor because it still ran perfectly after about 5 years of use. It's a backup in case I ever need a motor. Was it Honda quality, nope. Was it good enough to get me another 5 years out of the old gal, yup.
I have looked at a couple of the Predator motors from HF… I think it was a 173cc and a 212cc… I’m wanting to find something with a little more power.. is it overkill? Yea probably, but what I plan on using it for I need a lot of power. The higher horsepower ones I have seemed to find online are more than what I’m wanting to spend on this project.