Honda Model Difference

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
Whats the difference between a HR214SX and HR214 SXA? Mine doesnt have "A" on the sticker on the deck. Jackssmallengine.com is showing the "A" after the "X".

Threads
In the modern-day Honda model numbers, the 'A' just stood for the American market. But I don't know if it's the same back then.

bwdbrn1

Threads
Here's how to read the Honda codes for their power equipment. There won't be an A after the SX on the decal that's on the deck.

View attachment Model ID Guide Power Equipment.pdf

HR214SXA translates like this:

HR = Honda Rotary - the absence of a third letter after the HR indicates an aluminum deck.
21 = 21"
4 = GXV120 engine
S = Gear Drive
X = Recoil start/Blade Brake Clutch
A = USA market

For an HRA214SXA, the first A indicates a steel deck.

Don't confuse the location of the A as being the same mower. The HR214SXA and HRA214SXA are two very different mowers and not all parts interchange.

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks thats helps alot.

Now next question. Is it better to look engine parts by the engine numbers stamped on the engine block or by equipment model ID tag thats on the mower deck?

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks thats helps alot.

Now next question. Is it better to look engine parts by the engine numbers stamped on the engine block or by equipment model ID tag thats on the mower deck?

You can see all the parts (for the mower deck, controls, engine, etc.) by using a search by the frame serial number (stamped on the rear of the mower deck) that is usually in form of "MXXX-1234567"

A number of Honda dealers offer browseable, online parts catalogs ([url]www.boats.net[/URL] is a good example) or you can purchase a paper copy.

bwdbrn1

Threads
Yes, follow the model and serial designation on the deck simply because there may have been variations that were made across the production time of the model line. Doing that should keep you on the right track with the mower you are working on.

A few words of caution. Different sites show things differently, and some may show that a part is available, when in fact it is not. You can also do searches by a specific part number, when you know it, and sites that happen to be in the Honda network will come up, but they don't actually carry or offer such parts. I've looked for mower parts and been directed to motorcycle dealers as a result, but when contacted, they don't deal in out door products. On the other hand, I did need a part for a lawn mower that supposedly was no longer available as an out door power product, but the same part was used on one of their motorcycles, and it was still available as a motorcycle part.

Confusing? Just know for sure what it is you're looking for and you'll be O.K. Without being repetitive, boats.net is the best online retailer I've dealt with so far as price and service go, and I've bought a lot of parts over the years. Plus it pays to have a real good relationship with a Honda Power Equipment dealer if you have one nearby. The knowledge they have in their product line can't be beat, and who knows, maybe they have a bone yard of mowers and parts you can pick through.