Honda Lawn Mower HRR2169VYA Issue

gotomow

Threads
Here's a great video of one of the issues:The real fix
If you cannot repair stuff like this on your own and have to pay dealer service $$ is it worth it?

Briantii

Threads
Here's a great video of one of the issues:The real fix
If you cannot repair stuff like this on your own and have to pay dealer service $$ is it worth it?

I have a worst case scenario yard for mine and have been working on ways to actually fix it. So far so good, but this thread below has a lot of good info and solutions presented to help hopefully permanently fix this design flaw from Honda.

pete651

Forum Newbie
Threads
I do thank those who responded with possible remedies to my issue. It is a shame no on from Honda so much as acknowledged any of my pleas for help I sent them. I filed that under "Honda Provides Great Customer Service" ... /sarc

As I have stated within this chain of messages, I have both attempted to resolve this issue myself numerous times and I have also taken it to an "authorized Honda service center" several times. Nothing resolved my issue.

UNTIL NOW ....

Yesterday I pulled both wheels of my mower, I cut two pieces of steel pipe I had on hand to a length equal to the width of the pinion gears, removed the ratchet keys, and replaced the pinion gear on each side with a piece of pipe.
My mower is no longer self-propelled, but for the first time in nearly two years I was able to mow my lawn without having to stop and reassemble all the components behind one or the other wheels. This will get me by until I do my research and purchase a new mower... and I can guarantee you that it will not be a Honda.

upupandaway

Threads
...this thread below has a lot of good info and solutions presented to help hopefully permanently fix this design flaw from Honda.
Don't bet on it. They have been selling this setup since the 90's.

Briantii

Threads
It almost sounds like you had a manufacturing flaw where the deck was manufactured incorrectly. I've not known them to just "fall apart" to where you can't complete the mow. Having issues pulling the mower backwards is a real design flaw, but doesn't prevent it from being used. The only thing that I have seen that's kind of like that is if the circlips on the adjusters wear and allow the adjuster to come loose. New circlips solve that issue easily though. Either way - I completely understand avoiding Honda in the future. Good luck and hope you find a good setup for you.

Briantii

Threads
Don't bet on it. They have been selling this setup since the 90's.

Have you read the thread? Some good ideas including sealing up the system better to prevent it from getting gummed up and moving from plastic bushings to needle bearings. I can tell you the bearing conversion is working MUCH better for me than the Honda setup.

jsalis57

Threads
I do thank those who responded with possible remedies to my issue. It is a shame no on from Honda so much as acknowledged any of my pleas for help I sent them. I filed that under "Honda Provides Great Customer Service" ... /sarc

As I have stated within this chain of messages, I have both attempted to resolve this issue myself numerous times and I have also taken it to an "authorized Honda service center" several times. Nothing resolved my issue.

UNTIL NOW ....

Yesterday I pulled both wheels of my mower, I cut two pieces of steel pipe I had on hand to a length equal to the width of the pinion gears, removed the ratchet keys, and replaced the pinion gear on each side with a piece of pipe.
My mower is no longer self-propelled, but for the first time in nearly two years I was able to mow my lawn without having to stop and reassemble all the components behind one or the other wheels. This will get me by until I do my research and purchase a new mower... and I can guarantee you that it will not be a Honda.
Glad you have found a resolution.

It is too bad to hear about your troubles with this newer Honda, I suspect if you have had the long term experience with the older more robust models such as the HR series from the 80's you would feel much different about the quality of Honda. I have two HR series mowers, 214 SX and 215 SX that IMHO nothing else compares to today.

pete651

Forum Newbie
Threads
It almost sounds like you had a manufacturing flaw where the deck was manufactured incorrectly. I've not known them to just "fall apart" to where you can't complete the mow. Having issues pulling the mower backwards is a real design flaw, but doesn't prevent it from being used. The only thing that I have seen that's kind of like that is if the circlips on the adjusters wear and allow the adjuster to come loose. New circlips solve that issue easily though. Either way - I completely understand avoiding Honda in the future. Good luck and hope you find a good setup for you.
For clarity, I never had any issues pulling the mower backwards. After making 4 -6 laps around my 80 x 110 yard, either the left or right wheel would stop turning while pushing the mower forward. When I removed the wheel, all of the components between the wheel and cover would be off the axle entirely and either be "jammed" into the plastic "fins"inside the wheel or lose.
Also, I never, ever, reuse circlips. I always replace them with new ones.

Last edited:

pete651

Forum Newbie
Threads
Glad you have found a resolution.

It is too bad to hear about your troubles with this newer Honda, I suspect if you have had the long term experience with the older more robust models such as the HR series from the 80's you would feel much different about the quality of Honda. I have two HR series mowers, 214 SX and 215 SX that IMHO nothing else compares to today.
They definitely do not build them like they used to. When I purchased this Honda, I gave my son my old Lawn Chief? (I think that was the brand). I bought the Lawn Chief new in 1981 and it is still running and operating great for my son to this day.