Honda HRX217VKA (version K6) GCV200 valve train noise

FarmForce

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Honda HRX217VKA (version K6) GCV200 valve train noise
Some pretty wild SWAGs here ... i think the noise is probably normal. Honda is not what is was once. I noted the GCV200 engine does not have the belt drive of the cam in the head. The cam now sits again low in the engine case. This is different to earlier GCV engines that didn't soundlike a bucket of rattling screws. My oil is super clean and I guess I just have to accept the noise.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
See my previous post regarding valve adjustment on page 1. Specs. are not .008 - .012 or .009. My previous post has specs. in Manual using metric system on page 13.

Last edited:

Texas1step

Threads
Suggestion: If oil is black change it, also check air filter for replacement. Always check oil level on dipstick before cranking.
Yeah I'm in the process of winter maintenance, so I've drained the oil, adjusted valves etc. But I'd like to know why it has been knocking and has dirty oil and fouled spark plug from 3 months of use. The valve lash did seem to be off so maybe thats the problem. Maybe the carb needs adjusting because its over fueling.

Texas1step

Threads
in my opinion the GCV's are the worst of the honda engines. partly because of the design, i've replaced many cracked rocker arms in them.
When you say GCV do you mean the GCV 200 because the previous GCV 190 was an overhead cam engine GCV200 are overhead valve, which Was why I was wondering if there simular to the commercial engines.

Texas1step

Threads
Check the rocker cover
The thin tin is easily deformed and then the rocker tap on the cover .
Solution is to get some thick cork gasket material & cut a thicker gasket
Continual taping on the cover cracks the rockers as Scrubby has already noted .
I didn't see any marks on the inside of the cover so I don't think it was touching it. Also the cover new from factory.

FarmForce

Forum Newbie
Threads
See my previous post regarding valve adjustment on page 1. Specs. are not .008 - .012 or .009. My previous post has specs. in Manual using metric system on page 13.
Let me repeat: I have that manual. I know the valve lash. I checked the lash (as mentioned above). It is within specs (as I mentioned above). It's NOT NOT NOT the issue. ?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
to be honest i would have taken it back to where you bought it from, or expressed your concerns to the local honda dealer.

FarmForce

Forum Newbie
Threads
to be honest i would have taken it back to where you bought it from, or expressed your concerns to the local honda dealer.
Home Depot ... seriously? Naw, I am good I think it is not an issue of some defect or out of specs, but these engines are that noisy. I will continue to run it and see. It has a 5 year warranty and if it craps out well then I will take it to Honda. If not I will trade it in side that time anyways. I really think Honda has started to cut corners int eir design.