Honda HRX217HYA Grass build up with bag

Kraymerica

Forum Newbie
Threads
I ended up going with the HRX217HYA model yesterday and mowed with it for the first time. I had the bag on and set the clip director to half mulch, half bag. Worked great and cut like butter.

One small annoyance though was the grass would build up along the ridge where the bag sets on the back of the mower, where the two little bars sit in the grooves. So when I would empty the bag, I would have to spend a little more time to clear out that whole ledge of grass so the bag would sit back in the little grooves. Is there a way to prevent this build up right there, or do I just need to empty the bag before it fills up that full?

Thanks

JSB33

Threads
Congrats on getting the new Honda.
On the issue of the grass building up, mine does the same and I suspect they all would. I just blow mine off with the leaf blower when I am done.
I have mine set at 90% mulch.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
I ended up going with the HRX217HYA model yesterday and mowed with it for the first time. I had the bag on and set the clip director to half mulch, half bag. Worked great and cut like butter.

One small annoyance though was the grass would build up along the ridge where the bag sets on the back of the mower, where the two little bars sit in the grooves. So when I would empty the bag, I would have to spend a little more time to clear out that whole ledge of grass so the bag would sit back in the little grooves. Is there a way to prevent this build up right there, or do I just need to empty the bag before it fills up that full?

Thanks

Mine does this its incredibly annoying but you get used to it...

Threads

Thanks

Mine does this, too, but when it takes 5 seconds to clean it off I don't care.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Mine does this, too, but when it takes 5 seconds to clean it off I don't care.

5 seconds per bag x 2 bags per mow = 10 seconds a mow x 12 mows a day = 1:20 minutes a day x 5 days a week = 6 minutes a week x 4 weeks a month = 24 minutes a month x 7 months of mowing = 1hr40 mins a season @ 50 an hr bid time = 83 dollars wasted cleaning grass..... I find it a bit irritating.

Threads
5 seconds per bag x 2 bags per mow = 10 seconds a mow x 12 mows a day = 1:20 minutes a day x 5 days a week = 6 minutes a week x 4 weeks a month = 24 minutes a month x 7 months of mowing = 1hr40 mins a season @ 50 an hr bid time = 83 dollars wasted cleaning grass..... I find it a bit irritating.

But the thing is I only bag one lawn a week (the rest I mulch) and when I bag that lawn I dump the bag maybe 3 times but I only clean it once, the bag sits fine.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
But the thing is I only bag one lawn a week (the rest I mulch) and when I bag that lawn I dump the bag maybe 3 times but I only clean it once, the bag sits fine.

Lucky............

GregGA

Threads

That's how you succed in business!

bwdbrn1

Threads
I wouldn't doubt Honda is looking for a solution as a result of posts like this one.

Giblet

Threads
I, too, have the same mower that I purchased a few weeks ago. After assembling the bag and placing it on the mower, I was puzzled that the bag didn't fit right on the frame i.e. the gap between the top of the bag and the frame. But, for some reason, Honda did this maybe to enhance air flow. But it was odd compared to my '94 rig.

Yes, with the blower a quarter throttle, takes care of it.