honda hrx217hxa recall info

crosstalk

Threads
Hello. I picked up an hrx217k1 (frame serial MAGA-1423469) in almost new condition over the weekend. I think there was a roto-stop-related recall on this model, but I am not sure if this unit was updated. Also, if the recall just involves replacing the clutch return spring (75185-VE1-G00) with one that has a piece of rubber tubing in the center, I would rather do it myself for a couple of dollars than bother with the dealer.

Also, this machine has the older handlebar adjusting knobs (unscrew them all the way to adjust handlebar height). Is it possible to buy the newer lock/unlock style parts and use them with this handlebar?

Last edited:

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hello. I picked up an hrx217k1 (frame serial MAGA-1423469) in almost new condition over the weekend. I think there was a roto-stop-related recall on this model, but I am not sure if this unit was updated. Also, if the recall just involves replacing the clutch return spring (75185-VE1-G00) with one that has a piece of rubber tubing in the center, I would rather do it myself for a couple of dollars than bother with the dealer.

Also, this machine has the older handlebar adjusting knobs (unscrew them all the way to adjust handlebar height). Is it possible to buy the newer lock/unlock style parts and use them with this handlebar?

Honda records show this unit was indeed included in two safety recalls, and per Honda's records, it HAS NOT been updated yet. It's important you DO NOT use the mower or add fuel to the tank until it has been inspected and repaired by a Honda Dealer.

The first recall was for a fuel tank, back in September 2007. A mounting tab could break, causing a fuel leak. The fix is to inspect the tank and replace the mounting rubber. See the attached document (Service Bulletin #79) for full details.

The second was for a possible broken Roto-Stop return spring. It may be possible for the blades to continue to rotate even with the Roto-Stop lever released. Same deal here; do NOT use the mower until it has been inspected and repaired. The fix for this is an updated return spring. See Service Bulletin #81 for details.

It is very important to let the dealer do the work; they can confirm what needs to be done, and ensure the correct service parts are used in the repairs. All you need to do is take it in, and Honda will cover the cost of the both updates. This process will also get this serial number updated to show it has had the work done, and done properly, making it a safe product to use, and when/if you ever sell it, it's in the system officially as being updated by an authorized dealer. No worries, no problems.

Here's a link to find the closest Honda Dealer in your area: http://powerequipment.honda.com/dealer-locator

Finally, yes, you can update the handlebar height adjustment hardware to the new-style twist-lock knobs. There's a complete kit available, with all the parts you need. Order Part Number 06530-VL0-305, list price is $6.22.

Attachments

• LM #79 HRX Fuel Tank.pdf
    487.1 KB · Views: 26
  • LM #81 HRX Roto-Stop Spring.pdf
    598.9 KB · Views: 28

crosstalk

Threads
Thanks for the great info, Robert. Apparently I have a knack for buying units that haven't been brought in for the recall work. As much as I hate taking it to the dealer, I will take it in and buy the handlebar kit.

crosstalk

Threads
Robert, online sites are showing that part number 06530-VL0-305 has been superceded by 06530-VL0-305Z. Is the new part the same thing? Do I need two of these kits (one for each side)?

Last edited:

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Robert, online sites are showing that part number 06530-VL0-305 has been superceded by 06530-VL0-305Z. Is the new part the same thing? Do I need two of these kits (one for each side)?

06530-VL0-305Z is the most current number (still $6.22) and the kit includes all hardware to do both sides.

crosstalk

Threads
Thanks, Robert. I just took a look at the machine tonight and I'm wondering how easy it will be to convert the handlebar height adjuster to the twist-lock knobs. The handlebar has pins that lock into one of the three height adjustment holes. Don't these pins need to be removed to use the twist-lock knob? They look welded to the handlebar, but maybe they can be knocked out or I am missing something about how the twist-lock works.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks, Robert. I just took a look at the machine tonight and I'm wondering how easy it will be to convert the handlebar height adjuster to the twist-lock knobs. The handlebar has pins that lock into one of the three height adjustment holes. Don't these pins need to be removed to use the twist-lock knob? They look welded to the handlebar, but maybe they can be knocked out or I am missing something about how the twist-lock works.

Okay, I checked with our engineer. Bad news: to retrofit the new-style twist-lock hardware means a new-style handlebar, lower support arms and all associated hardware must also be installed. :mad: He says the "knob kit" was created to make it easy to repair new-style mowers with the twist-locks, because when they are damaged, you need all the small springs, clips, knobs, etc. to do a repair. The kit is was NOT created to provide an update to older mowers, my mistake, sorry for the confusion.

crosstalk

Threads
Thanks for clarifying, Robert. I figured at least a different handlebar would be required.