Honda HRR2169VKA not propelling

michaelhager6

Forum Newbie
Threads
I recently replaced the clutch cable on my HRR2169VKA. The clutch is engaging the transmission, but it seems too weak to propel when it's flat on the ground. Just to test if the cable is indeed engaging, I lifted the handle to hoist the rear wheels and they are spinning pretty rapidly. However, when I sit the rear wheels back down, it wants to barely move, if at all. Also: no, the wheels are not spinning when it they hit the ground. Please know: I had to adjust the governor from when it saw a previous shop that did some pretty crappy work. When it came back from that shop, it ran a lot slower and didn't seem to cut as well. This adjustment was done at the same time I replaced the clutch cable. Did I not mount the clutch cable to where it pulls the transmission enough? Have bushings gone bad? Is the transmission defunct? Did me adjusting the governor ruin anything? Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks!

-Michael in Texas
Honda HRX217HYA
Honda HRR2169VKA
Honda HRS216SDA
Toro POS2008

sidemouse

Threads
A common issue on these mowers is when standing behind it, the left rear wheel bolt (looks like a nut in the center of the wheel) likes to work itself loose.
When that happens the gears from the transmission can no longer fully engage the wheel, causing slippage.
I believe it's either 12 or 13 mm, not sure if I ended up putting loctite on it or just tightened it pretty good.

Number 1 in this picture:
hrs216_sp_rear_wheel.gif