Honda HRR2163TDA Not Idling with Less Than Full Throttle

c5vettster

Threads
  • / Honda HRR2163TDA Not Idling with Less Than Full Throttle
Alright, so I have replaced all the carburetor gaskets (including the spacer) and it still runs the same. I didn't replace the carb, but I soaked it in some B-12 Chemtool and it seemed to clear out a lot of junk. Now, the only problem seems to be with the governor.
I tried adjusting it, but it doesn't seem to have much movement on its shaft. Every time I start it, it just starts revving insanely high (it sounds like it's about to shoot the piston right out). I tried moving the idle down some with the governor, but nothing happened.
How can I adjust this governor? Like I said, this mower is a bit of a pain with all the arms, springs, and linkages. Way too complicated for a lawnmower.

You can test it by pushing the gov arm counterclockwise If you can achieve stable RPM by doing so, than adjust your governor by loosing the bolt at the base of the arm and rotating it to the left. However, if the engine continues to surge - the carburetor or the valve clearance may still be the problem.

SpoolinV70

Threads
You can test it by pushing the gov arm counterclockwise If you can achieve stable RPM by doing so, than adjust your governor by loosing the bolt at the base of the arm and rotating it to the left. However, if the engine continues to surge - the carburetor or the valve clearance may still be the problem.

I tried turning it down a little (counterclockwise), and it's pulsing again. I had tightened the lower spring on the governor arm before, and when I ran it I was able to turn down the throttle a bit and it stayed running. However when the engine speed slowed down to almost normal, it was pulsing again. I bent the spring back to normal and it started doing what it was doing before (idling slowly, pulsing).
I went ahead and ordered a new carburetor, I'll post back if that solves the problem.

c5vettster

Threads
I tried turning it down a little (counterclockwise), and it's pulsing again. I had tightened the lower spring on the governor arm before, and when I ran it I was able to turn down the throttle a bit and it stayed running. However when the engine speed slowed down to almost normal, it was pulsing again. I bent the spring back to normal and it started doing what it was doing before (idling slowly, pulsing).
I went ahead and ordered a new carburetor, I'll post back if that solves the problem.

Yes, that doesn't surprise me. Honda carburetors are hard to clean when they are clogged with stale gasoline. I bet the new carburetor will fix it.

SpoolinV70

Threads
Got the carburetor in the other day, and it runs now in any throttle position. Just today I noticed some odd resistance from the pull start after removing the blade (it seems the blade was causing violent shaking), but it starts still. It still sounds like it's running weird, but it is running.
I think I just need to adjust the governor arm a little bit. It sounds like it might be idling a little low. I'll post back if I can't get it running smooth.