honda HRR216 eating pinion gears??

chad fink

Forum Newbie
Threads
my self propelled honda HRR216 is eating pinion gears .I have replace rear wheels...no differance??

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
A couple of conditions that cause premature pinion gear failure.

A lack of lubrication and incorrect lash. Incorrect lash of gears that are fixed in manufacturer ( non adjustable ) is often caused by bushing wear. Even with lubrication too much lash puts undue stress on the gears and it's usually the pinion of the two mating gears that fails first.

Catherine

LawnWorld Support
Staff member
Threads
Hi and welcome to the forum. :welcome:

I'm going to move your thread over to the Honda section to see if anyone over there has some additional insight.

rpraborn

Forum Newbie
Threads
A couple of conditions that cause premature pinion gear failure.

A lack of lubrication and incorrect lash. Incorrect lash of gears that are fixed in manufacturer ( non adjustable ) is often caused by bushing wear. Even with lubrication too much lash puts undue stress on the gears and it's usually the pinion of the two mating gears that fails first.

would you please explain lash??

Ava.Feret

Threads
would you please explain lash??
Well, the wheels should have new bearings. I would change
the 2 BOLTs, RR. WHEEL SHAFT
90102-VG3-000
When you put the rear wheel on check to see if you have side play by the bolt being worn. Also the spring may be hanging up.
Can you pull the mower backwards without any resistance.
Also when this type of job is being performed I always support the rear with 4x4 's. It makes the job easier and the wheels are not touching the ground.