Honda HRR Models: Rear Wheels Locking Up When Pulling Backwards

Scott_HRR

Threads
  • / Honda HRR Models: Rear Wheels Locking Up When Pulling Backwards
Well, the video is right on the money. The bushings have a pretty tight tolerance and once the shaft starts to rust in this area it doesn’t take long before the wheels will slide when you pull it backwards. Like I said before; Honda built a very high quality, zero-thrust transmission for this mower that normally has some resistance to turning all by itself. Add some debris to the shaft bushing and maybe a little dirt & grime to the wheel cog gears and the wheels will lock up when you pull it backwards.

In my work life (now retired) I worked with engineers every day so I like to dig into things to see how they are designed and function, even a silly lawn mower. For an average home owner that is not mechanically inclined owning an HRR that has developed this problem could be rather frustrating since Honda doesn’t specifically mention this type of maintenance. Cleaning the drive cogs so the wheels move freely is only 1/2 the maintenance. Flipping the mower on it’s side and spraying penetrating oil or lubricant in the bushing area will get you by but once the seals fail (like in my case) you will need to go in and get the bushing and seals replaced.

TobyU

Threads
Well, the video is right on the money. The bushings have a pretty tight tolerance and once the shaft starts to rust in this area it doesn’t take long before the wheels will slide when you pull it backwards. Like I said before; Honda built a very high quality, zero-thrust transmission for this mower that normally has some resistance to turning all by itself. Add some debris to the shaft bushing and maybe a little dirt & grime to the wheel cog gears and the wheels will lock up when you pull it backwards.

In my work life (now retired) I worked with engineers every day so I like to dig into things to see how they are designed and function, even a silly lawn mower. For an average home owner that is not mechanically inclined owning an HRR that has developed this problem could be rather frustrating since Honda doesn’t specifically mention this type of maintenance. Cleaning the drive cogs so the wheels move freely is only 1/2 the maintenance. Flipping the mower on it’s side and spraying penetrating oil or lubricant in the bushing area will get you by but once the seals fail (like in my case) you will need to go in and get the bushing and seals replaced.
Nah, no parts needed. Just more or better lube. The "seals" are pretty lame at sealing even if new.
IIRC they are only on one side.
I will again say people should keep water and hoses and pressure washers fat away from mowers.

Scott_HRR

Threads
Nah, no parts needed. Just more or better lube. The "seals" are pretty lame at sealing even if new.
IIRC they are only on one side.
I will again say people should keep water and hoses and pressure washers fat away from mowers.
Its rye grass that kills all mowers no matter how much lube you spray all over the place which is why I stopped growing it in the winter. I know there are areas where rye is what they grow in the summer, and all I can say is good luck.

TobyU

Threads
Its rye grass that kills all mowers no matter how much lube you spray all over the place which is why I stopped growing it in the winter. I know there are areas where rye is what they grow in the summer, and all I can say is good luck.
For most people, grass ends up being whatever grass they happen to have in their lawn.
For some, calling it a lawn is a stretch. LOL
Grass berries differently around the country or even the world I assume but you get what you get.
Other people's types of grass may be different than what I am accustomed to in the Midwest and specifically Southwest Ohio.
Here, no parts need to be replaced.
It takes a minimum of two seasons for a Honda to get a little stiff to pull backwards for most people but a lot of people never have an issue.
I don't know if this is because they actually pull the mower backwards more often or because they know when it's dryer out or they keep the water hose far away from their machine but that's what I find..
If they are lubricated as part of a normal annual service/maintenance, they can easily go 15 plus years or beyond the expected lifespan of the mower and never have to have any of these parts replaced and still be pulling back just fine.
Other people, in other conditions may notice far different results.
All I can state and comment on are the results I see from the many thousands of lawn mowers I have done commercially since 2011.