Honda HRC 216 wheels lock when pulling mower back

hrc216

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Honda HRC 216 wheels lock when pulling mower back
I have an older HRC 216, pre-quadra cut model. The hydro drive still works, however when I attempt to pull mower back, the wheels lock. If I lift mower and manoeuvre it, I can get the wheels to unlock and pull mower backwards, but the manoeuvring is extra work.

I have removed the wheels and noticed that the 2 prongs on the ratchet wheel dogs, are stuck outwards. I am wondering if I can somehow service these 2 pieces, instead of buying new ones?

Is it possible that the left one is on the right side and vise-versa? I purchased mower used.

Here is a photo of the parts I am talking about. Ratchetshonda ratchet wheel dogs.jpg

Any thoughts?

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just to be sure I know exactly which HRC model you have, can you share the serial number off the back of the mower deck?

lmserialnumber_zps63822669.jpg

Also, just in case you don't know, you must release the drive clutch lever all the way to allow the rear wheels to spin. If the drive clutch lever is engaged, the mower will not roll backwards.

Now the shop manual calls out, "Mower propels forward, but can't be pulled backwards when the drive clutch is released." The first thing to check is for binding on the control arm on the outside of the transmission.
hrc216controlarm_zps7f39550d.jpg

Disconnect the change cable, and confirm the mower can be pulled backwards:
If it can, inspect the change cable for damage or binding. Replace and adjust the cable.
If it can't, clean any dirt/debris from around the change lever and apply some lubricant to the spring area. Confirm the control arm moves up and down smoothly.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I have an older HRC 216, pre-quadra cut model. The hydro drive still works, however when I attempt to pull mower back, the wheels lock. If I lift mower and manoeuvre it, I can get the wheels to unlock and pull mower backwards, but the manoeuvring is extra work.

I have removed the wheels and noticed that the 2 prongs on the ratchet wheel dogs, are stuck outwards. I am wondering if I can somehow service these 2 pieces, instead of buying new ones?

Is it possible that the left one is on the right side and vise-versa? I purchased mower used.

Here is a photo of the parts I am talking about. RatchetsView attachment 24838

Any thoughts?

Yes you can,
Soak them in a cleaning solution.
If you have an ultra sonic cleaner all the better.
Try to avoid plling them apart as they are a bitch to get back together and the tiny springs will just vanish in front of very eyes.
Cleaning & greasing them is a part of servicing the mower that I do because I only service so can't treat my customers with the same contempt that dealers do relying on the sales staff to flog them a new mower every couple of years.

I usually degease, then ultrasonically clean, dry & grease with light marine grease.

hrc216

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the quick and helpful input. I never thought to check the cable. I imagine it is a bit of a job.

My frame serial number is MZAN-6178399

I'll troubleshoot the cable this weekend when the weather dries up.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks for the quick and helpful input. I never thought to check the cable. I imagine it is a bit of a job.

My frame serial number is MZAN-6178399

Okay, that's a Honda HRC216HXA (K1) which is the "version 2.0" of that model (Honda mowers don't have model years).

Keep that serial number handy, as it's essential if/when you need to order parts, as the most current version of this mower is the K4 (a.k.a, the fifth version of this model.)