Export thread

honda hr215 hxa

R

rml6093

my mower is having several issues the first is when I try to engage the blade the engine cuts out. however if I slowly engage the blade it sort of bogs down and they engage along with the engine staying running.

second problem is a surging issue when I take it off of the choke and to the rabbit position.. a third issue in relation is that it doesn't seem to change idle speed when i turn it from rabbit to the turtle position and vise versa

any help would be appreciated thanks!

tom3

tom3

Fresh gas?

R

rml6093

Fresh gas?
yes Tom

B

BHRS

If the engine is cold when I engage the blade it does the same as you are describing. I try to let it warm up for a couple of minutes and sometimes engage the blade and press for the choke at the same time - it helps for me.

I'm attaching an adjustment sheet for these engines. Look at the top one for the governor. Follow the instructions to set the adjustment. I will almost bet someone tried to pull more rpm's by "adjust" the governor and it's searching for the right rpm. The other possibility after adjustment is a problem with the governor itself. If the governor is sticking or worn out it will require removing the engine then pan to access the governor to replace it.

Attachments

• GXV140 Engine Adjustment Information.pdf
    127.9 KB · Views: 36

R

rml6093

If the engine is cold when I engage the blade it does the same as you are describing. I try to let it warm up for a couple of minutes and sometimes engage the blade and press for the choke at the same time - it helps for me.

I'm attaching an adjustment sheet for these engines. Look at the top one for the governor. Follow the instructions to set the adjustment. I will almost bet someone tried to pull more rpm's by "adjust" the governor and it's searching for the right rpm. The other possibility after adjustment is a problem with the governor itself. If the governor is sticking or worn out it will require removing the engine then pan to access the governor to replace it.

That actually could have been my doings because I wanted to clean the pilot jet so I had to take the throttle stop screw out to get to it. I checked out the attachment and seems fairly simple but how would I know the right rpm though?

B

BHRS

You'll need to purchase a single cylinder tachometer in order to accurately read the low and high rpm's.

A quick search on Amazon brought up many choices with different price ranges.

R

rml6093

You'll need to purchase a single cylinder tachometer in order to accurately read the low and high rpm's.

A quick search on Amazon brought up many choices with different price ranges.

i managed to snag one but I’m not sure what setting is correct for my mower. I took a picture of the instructions
CB48F917-F3F5-4421-8671-18EE54DAB2B1.jpeg

B

BHRS

It doesn't look like it's made for a single cylinder four stroke engine based on the choices.

This is identical to the one I use. I've had mine for 20 years and it works on 2-stroke and 4-stroke engines.

R

rml6093

It doesn't look like it's made for a single cylinder four stroke engine based on the choices.

This is identical to the one I use. I've had mine for 20 years and it works on 2-stroke and 4-stroke engines.
Thanks for the recommendation but that’s a bit too pricey for me

H

HarmonySeeker

Check the condition of the bearing in the blade clutch. It may be failing.

R

rml6093

Check the condition of the bearing in the blade clutch. If may be failing.
Do you have any instructions on that hahaha

and today I got them to engage by slowly engaging the blades but then I stopped to clean out under the deck (I don’t have a bag) and when I tried to engage them again the engine cut off on me and I wasn’t able to get them turning again... so looks like I’ll be clockin in some shed time

H

HarmonySeeker

You do have a blade clutch on the unit, right? If so, remove the blades after pulling the spark plug boot for safety.
Now remove the big bolt in the center. That is the blade clutch.
Note there is a bearing surrounding that bolt.
THAT is the blade clutch bearing.
See if it spins freely.
If not, replace.

R

rml6093

You do have a blade clutch on the unit, right? If so, remove the blades after pulling the spark plug boot for safety.
Now remove the big bolt in the center. That is the blade clutch.
Note there is a bearing surrounding that bolt.
THAT is the blade clutch bearing.
See if it spins freely.
If not, replace.
Thanks will do! And yes it does have the blade clutch

R

rml6093

Thanks will do! And yes it does have the blade clutch
Didn’t even check the blade clutch went to the simplest troubleshoot and it was as simple as tightening the blade cable. Fixed!

my only problem now is my surging issue on start up???‍♂️

H

HarmonySeeker

Glad it was a simple fix. I haven't had to deal with a surging issue yet as I am still putting the blade clutch back together.

H

HurstGN

If you had the carb off, it's possible a gasket is not installed in the proper orientation and an air passage may be blocked.

R

rml6093

If you had the carb off, it's possible a gasket is not installed in the proper orientation and an air passage may be blocked.
I’ve never had it off. I took the bowl off to see if it was dirty and also had the throttle stop screw off to clean the jet under it

H

HarmonySeeker

There's top-notch experts here on this site, no doubt, but maybe this is the trick:

R

rml6093

Are the bolts to get the blade off reversed or the normal righty tighty lefty loosey

T

tadawson

I had this problem on an HR215, and also tried cleaning the pilot jet to no avail. I think it shrunk due to being plastic and age - and no amount of cleaning woueld help. I replaced it, and have run flawless for close to 10 years, with no other changes or cleanings to the carb. The want a ridiculous amount of $$$ for such a small plastic part, but it was worth it.

Ultimately, both the surge and the stall are due to the engine running lean at low power (IE not yet on the main jet).

R

rml6093

I had this problem on an HR215, and also tried cleaning the pilot jet to no avail. I think it shrunk due to being plastic and age - and no amount of cleaning woueld help. I replaced it, and have run flawless for close to 10 years, with no other changes or cleanings to the carb. The want a ridiculous amount of $$$ for such a small plastic part, but it was worth it.

Ultimately, both the surge and the stall are due to the engine running lean at low power (IE not yet on the main jet).

good info do you know the settings on the the pilot screw and also throttle stop screw? I just recently cleaned the carb a few days ago and maybe I didn’t get those screwed where they need to be.

I will say it doesn’t surge as long now that I thoroughly cleaned carb so I’m thinking I just don’t have the idle set right. It really surges when I turn the throttle to the slow position

T

tadawson

The jet I am describing has no screw - it is fixed, although there is also a capped mixture screw. While I can't recall the setting at the moment, I recall setting it to the factory position, and the mower ran fine. Note also that until I replaxed the fixed plastic jet, no amount of adjustment would stop the surge.

PS I recall 2 turns out, and a search gives the same. I can verify with the service manual, but have good confidence in 2 . . .

R

rml6093

The jet I am describing has no screw - it is fixed, although there is also a capped mixture screw. While I can't recall the setting at the moment, I recall setting it to the factory position, and the mower ran fine. Note also that until I replaxed the fixed plastic jet, no amount of adjustment would stop the surge.

PS I recall 2 turns out, and a search gives the same. I can verify with the service manual, but have good confidence in 2 . . .

the page or pages of the service manual on that would be great if you could attach it here