Honda GXV140 Ignition Coil Resistance

JohnP

Threads
I just purchased a new ignition coil for my Honda lawn mower with the GXV140 engine. Best I can tell, the spec for the secondary resistance is 6.3 to 7.7K ohms. It is measuring 41K! Is there any chance that this will work? Thanks.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you purchased it from a mower shop or real suppliers of mower parts then it would have been electrically testes several times before it left the factory so it will be good & your readings will be bad
If you bought it off Evilpay or Scammazon guess where all the bad ones that Honda reject end up ?
The Honda spec is 12kΩ +/- 2k
Are you measuring it at the wire or at the plug terminal ?
The terminal screws off .

JohnP

Threads
I'm measuring it at the plug terminal. Where can I find the spec? Any chance that it would work with that high a reading?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
In the engine or mower service manual which are sold by Honda through Evilpay .
The magnets induce a voltage in the primary windings so they are what is important
Higher secondary winding resistance is unlikely to cause the magneto grief but as to weather it will work or not that is anybodies guess .
In theory it should produce a bigger voltage at the plug as the higher resistance indicates a secondary with more turns.
IT could on the other hand indicate a graphite & fiberglass conductor that has broken down .
OR a bad cap or a bad connection between the cap & the coil

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Only way to properly test electrical circuits is to test under load. Multi-meters do NOT load test anything. This is the best tool for loading a coil down. Even has a cool name to it. She is called the PET 4000.