Export thread

Honda GCV 160 quick start, not so quick

A

aaron9217

Mower was sitting for 3 years. I could not get it started and ended up replacing carb and full tune up with fresh gas also. It takes about 8 pulls then runs like a dream. There is no choke to adjust so I can't figure out what i need to do to fix this. Any help would be great

C

Chris Parman

Can you elaborate on the phrase "replacing carb".

A

aaron9217

Can you elaborate on the phrase "replacing carb".

A

aaron9217

CD0CBDFA-74FB-4D72-B55D-642150D68A18.jpegI bought this and replaced the old one. I’m starting to think it’s the thermowax actuator since I see the choke is open when the engine is cold

mikehouse

mikehouse

Same situation w/out the actuator.Mined was twice used then was sat for 2 years.Carb cleaned,oil, and Seafosm overnight in sparkplug hole.Ever since,3 soft pulls to move the oil,then a good half pull.Starts everytime.Just a squirt once a week to eat that carbon.Husqvarna HU700F,gcv 160.

C

Chris Parman

Hey A-A-Ron, either there isn't enough fuel getting to the Carburetor or the Magneto needs to be re-adjusted. For the Magneto, check with a .016 inch feeler gauge.

A

aaron9217

Hey A-A-Ron, either there isn't enough fuel getting to the Carburetor or the Magneto needs to be re-adjusted. For the Magneto, check with a .016 inch feeler gauge.

So the fact that the carb is open when cold isn’t the problem? .. motor runs perfect After started

C

Chris Parman

Aaron, I need some information here.

1. Take a picture of the Model/Serial number tag
2. While cold and take a picture of the throttle side of the engine and a close up picture of the air filter cover with the cover off and filter out.

H

Honda Tech

So the fact that the carb is open when cold isn’t the problem? .. motor runs perfect After started
Yes, it is a problem. Surprised it starts at all. Choke should be closed when cold and as the Thermowax warms with the engine, it will open the choke. Follow manufacturers instructions when replacing the Thermowax.

mikehouse

mikehouse

Or go to Donyboy 73 "make your lawnmower start on the 1st pull again" on YouTube.Thank me later.Good luck.

C

Chris Parman

Aaron:

Also see this Post by our Friend "robert@honda"

mikehouse

mikehouse

More info the better.More than one way to peel a grape.

C

Chris Parman

Mike: Donny Boy show a person the how to do it (Donny Boy makes very informative Videos) and robert@honda show the theory behind the Autochoke system :)

mikehouse

mikehouse

I feel you.Like I said,the more info the better.We're all here to help each other.Nothing personal here.

H

Honda Tech

I won't recommend modifying your choke system. Sounds like your thermowax needs replaced is it's a simple task. I have one of the first generations of the auto-choke on my mower. Going on 10 years now and always starts on the first pull. Thank me later.