Honda F500 tiller valves

nutboltz

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Honda F500 tiller. Purchased used about 5 years ago and it has been terrific! This spring it started first pull but ran very rough and there was a lot of noise i did not remember. Started checking things out and found issues with the carb. A fuel leak and i think the governor was keeping the idle too high. This uses the G200 engine and it was easy to pull the flat head off. The head had a fine crescent shape dent in it above the exhaust valve. I rotated the engine and the valve motion looked symmetric. Looking into the valve window both springs looked intact and the retainers were in place. I polished the head with some lapidary equipment i have and put everything back together. I started the engine first pull and it was running much smoother but there was a distinct clunk with engine rotation so i turned it off. Pulled the head and a fine dent was there again. I do not have the correct feeler gauge yet but will have shortly. There is no adjustment If too tight you lap the valve to loose and you get a new valve. It would appear that my valve has gotten longer or the cam lobe has grown. What are the other possibilities?