Home made mulching plate

Here is the one I would like to get for my largest mower.

dlcs3.jpg



OCDC
after all our fancy and expensive OCDC got broken and fail - simple piece of of rubber, hey-wire and banjee does the job for years ...

cost-0; maintenance-0; take all the hits possible; damage -0; newer on the way, as if it isn't there
3756d1319041257-home-made-mulching-plate-hpim0626-jpg
 

Attachments

  • HPIM0624.JPG
    HPIM0624.JPG
    190.5 KB · Views: 40
  • HPIM0625.JPG
    HPIM0625.JPG
    202.6 KB · Views: 50
  • HPIM0626.JPG
    HPIM0626.JPG
    197.8 KB · Views: 145
  • HPIM0627.JPG
    HPIM0627.JPG
    174.8 KB · Views: 42
Thanks, DH....I have a lot of spare rubber stall mat sections lying around...that method is an EXCELLENT idea, I made my plate and brackets out of aluminum so if they hit the blade there would be no damage...but rubber is ever better....THANKS !!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:
 
2 blades per spindle in a + pattern. High lift on top, regular lift on the bottom.

How is that possible? I have never seen a spindle that had a flange long enough to stack two blades, the concept seems very practical, but I have never seen it used anyplace. Seems to me blade balance would be even more critical if you stacked two blades.
 
How is that possible? I have never seen a spindle that had a flange long enough to stack two blades, the concept seems very practical, but I have never seen it used anyplace. Seems to me blade balance would be even more critical if you stacked two blades.

I checked the length of the bolt for amount of thread engagement, saw it had plenty and put extra blade on. Check the balance of all blades with a round shank screwdriver.
 
I checked the length of the bolt for amount of thread engagement, saw it had plenty and put extra blade on. Check the balance of all blades with a round shank screwdriver.

Not sure what equipment you are using it on, but every mower I have owned has a flange at the bottom of the spindle that is only long enough for a single blade. Did you pin or weld the blades together or add bracketry that would keep them in the proper + shape?

Your concept is really unique, tell us where you got the idea and show us a picture if you can, but first go get a patent application so nobody steals your idea...wonder why it isn't used commercially?
 
The flange at the bottom of the spindle that holds the blade will vary, depending on the mower. On the ones I have, the flange is round and flat and I could probably mount 2 blades on each spindle in an "X" with a long enough bolt.
 
Sammy the Red said:
I checked the length of the bolt for amount of thread engagement, saw it had plenty and put extra blade on. Check the balance of all blades with a round shank screwdriver.

I could do this on any of my commercial decks. There is no flange and bolt is plenty long enough. But talking wit some others. Thoughts are if the blades are not exactly perpendicular it would shake and destroy the spindles
 
Thoughts are if the blades are not exactly perpendicular it would shake and destroy the spindles
Nope. Just so each blade is balanced. Blades also need to be straight, or there will be dynamic unbalance, if that's what you mean. Also, two unbalanced blades will shake more than just one.
 
Back
Top