Home made chain carrier

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
My JD has no real factory toolbox, so I cut down an old gas can and mounted it on the drawbar to carry chains, towstraps, etc. In the summer I can install a larger toolbox type, but if I extend the drawbar any further in the winter, the rear blade hits it when I swivel it to reverse it.

Attachments

• Blackberry pics Vol. 2 226.jpg
    Blackberry pics Vol. 2 226.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 63

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
That looks good but you didn't mention how you mounted it. I'm curious because the plastic isn't all that strong. It seems to me you would need a wide, flat mount to distribute the stress.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
That looks good but you didn't mention how you mounted it. I'm curious because the plastic isn't all that strong. It seems to me you would need a wide, flat mount to distribute the stress.

Thanks for asking, the drawbar is about an two and a half inches wide, and has several large holes bored into it so you can vary the length. using the large carriage bolt/spring clip that is in front of the plastic can...the gas can was made about 1985, it is thick and strong in the bottom section. I drilled two holes in the bottom of the plastic, used a pair of big carriage bolts backed with fender washers inside the can and under the drawbar plus plastic pipe cut the vertical thickness of the drawbar to get the bolts a snug fit, I used wing nuts for easy removal if needed. Will post pics of the larger, summer toolbox when I install it next spring...it's a cut down Craftsman multi level organizer toolbox.

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks for asking, the drawbar is about an two and a half inches wide, and has several large holes bored into it so you can vary the length. using the large carriage bolt/spring clip that is in front of the plastic can...the gas can was made about 1985, it is thick and strong in the bottom section. I drilled two holes in the bottom of the plastic, used a pair of big carriage bolts backed with fender washers inside the can and under the drawbar plus plastic pipe cut the vertical thickness of the drawbar to get the bolts a snug fit, I used wing nuts for easy removal if needed. Will post pics of the larger, summer toolbox when I install it next spring...it's a cut down Craftsman multi level organizer toolbox.

I figured that you would need something like the fender washers. I never throw away washers, particularly nice, wide ones.