Hi from down under

Semtex

Threads
Hi guys,yep another new guy to torture.I’m a retired Automotive tech/Police Officer.Did I tell you about the time I pulled over a speeding mower.Only kidding! You may notice that my accent is a different to cos I’m from the land down under. Well that’s the intros out the way.I’m picking up a new commercial Honda HRU196M2PBUH lawnmower next week with the GXV160 engine and the blade blade system.I really wanted a Flywheel brake model as I have no need for a blade brake and extra weight to push around at home.But due to nil stock for the next 3 months the dealer offered me $129 off .The pre Carona Virus special! This mower is replacing a 15 y.o.Buffalo Bull with the 6.5hp GSV190 OHV/OHC engine which had an intermittent electronic ignition issues before a complete failure.A job I’ll fix later.The cutting blades are still like brand new after 15 years.I plan to use Penrite’s MC-4ST 10W-30 100% PAO & ESTER full Zinc oil.(1800ppm Zinc and 0.063% Boron).Does anyone use the NGK Iridium spark plugs? As these engines aren’t force fed oil the breaking in process is different and it’s important not to idle them for too long.Anyone have any tips.

Last edited:

logert gogert

Threads
hey man!
welcome!
theres a lot of good people on here with a lot of knowledge and would be happy to help with any future questions.

Semtex

Threads
Logert gogert.Yeah thanks mate,you are right about that! Thanks for the welcome.My first mower was a 2 Stroke Victa Vortex with a phenomenal lifespan of 26 years without an engine overhaul .As gutless as they come under load and it cut Santa Anna couch rather badly.It felt like I had moved up to a Rolls Royce when I bought my first Honda Buffalo Bull with its powerful,torquey 6.5hp engine and it still has its original blades after 15 years.Suffice it to say,I’d be really disappointed if I didn’t get 25 years from my new HRU196M2 with the commercial GXV160 engine! Moreover,I will install a digital engine hour gauge recommended specifically for Honda mowers.Furthermore,I wish Honda hadn’t produced the Blade Brake Clutch and Engine Brake Systems! I hope I don’t see the day when there’s an OBD2 dongle and sensors everywhere and a miniature Catalytic converter like on my car.I have meticulously serviced both lawnmowers and our gardening equipment over the years and use the ultimate synthetic PAO &Ester engine oil after breaking it in on Dino oil for a short while first.What type of longevity are you guys getting out of your lawnmowers?

Lawn Addict
Threads
Welcome aboard !

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Welcome.
No need to do anything other than check the oil before you start using it.
Unlike other engines, governed engines run at governed speed around 3200 rpm for yours so cylinder glazing from excessive idling is not a problem.
Very important is to fill in your warranty card & send it back

jp1961

Threads
Hello,

Yep,,,hard to beat the old 2 stroke engines. Less moving parts. It's not uncommon to find find old Lawn-Boys still running after 50+ years. I find Honda's are the best 4 cycle engines. Keep clean oil in it and the blades sharp and you'll be good to go for a long time.
Regards

Jeff

logert gogert

Threads
,I wish Honda hadn’t produced the Blade Brake Clutch and Engine Brake Systems! I hope I don’t see the day when there’s an OBD2 dongle and sensors everywhere and a miniature Catalytic converter like on my car.
amen.....

logert gogert

Threads
well!
looks like your pretty handy when it comes to this stuff.
maybe you might be a tech one day on this forum!

Semtex

Threads
Logert gogert I’m retired now.Over the years I’ve seen technology go from more humble beginnings to the highly complex machines.Lately I’ve been researching more into Tribology and how lubricants play a better part in preventing wear in my spare time but the mainstream synthetics sold today are only Group 3 Hydrocracked mineral oils.The true synthetic oils are Group 4 Poly Alpha Olefins and Group 5 Esters.And they need to be mixed for the ultimate protection.I studied for about 5 -6 years at Tafe automotive school of engineering in my early years but side tracked, became a police officer and worked in the transport workshops.

logert gogert

Threads
mainstream synthetics sold today are only Group 3 Hydrocracked mineral oils.The true synthetic oils are Group 4 Poly Alpha Olefins and Group 5 Esters.And they
im gonna be honest.........ive got no idea what that means lol.....