HELP!!

wildbill

Threads
Hey to all y'all. I will try to make this short........ A friend brought me a 1997 Scagg Turf Tiger with the left head being removed due to a broken rocker arm bolt. He said the mower lost power. He had a new head, valves springs, etc, and asked me to install it along with all the parts in a box. I installed it, cranked it up, and it ran great for about 1 minute.... then like with him, it lost power. It was running on 1 cylinder and hitting every one or two seconds on the other cylinder, the one where I had installed the new head. It is a Kohler, CH25s, SPEC# 68579, 1997 model, 25 HP, SER# 2727504977.

Okay, here is what I have done so fa rto troubleshoot the "bad" side:
1- Pulled the rocker cover off and observed the valves opening-closing correctly.
2- Installed a new ignition module (coil) for that side, set at .012" gap.
3- Compression is 175psi on the "bad" side, 180psi on the other side.
4- New spark plugs, and checked both for spark.
5- A spark tester tool shows a good spark jumping over 1/4 inch.
6- Fuel pump works good.
7- Carb disassembled, cleaned all jets, blew out.
8- Blew air into the plug hole: I rotated the motor by hand and opened exhaust valve and air came out of the muffler, opened intake valve and air came out of carb, with both valves closed no air escaped anywhere.
9- Using the spark tester and cranking the engine: the "bad" cylinder sparks but not constant.
10- So, for the third time putting everything back together and hoping it would run..... not. Same thing. The "bad" cylinder's exhaust port would only be warm where it would fire sometimes, and you can hear it when it hits. The other side exhaust port is very hot as it should be.
11- I am fixing to go back to the garage and remove the cowling (4th time) to access and trace all the wires for a good connection.............
Lets assume all the wire connections check out good, could it have a bad Spark Advance Module ????? I do not have the special meter shown in the Kohler manual to check the SAM, does anyone have an idea?

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
make sure that the spark plug gap is correctly set. too narrow and it will misfire. I don't remember the procedure off the top of my head but there is a way to check the spark advance module by using a timing light to check to see if the timing is advancing correctly for both cylinders.

wildbill

Threads
Thanks. I have checked the plug gap and even put in new plugs.

I have not done the timing light thing yet. Yesterday I disconnected the gas line, took the cowling off, and looking at the spark plug's performance both sparks look about the same. But, with a spark length tester you get a noticeable difference of the spark, one side compared to the other. The 'good' side is constant while the 'bad' side misses. My wife even witnessed the event and agreed. I wish I had the tester Kohler offers to test a SAM but too many coins for me for now. So, last evening I ordered a SAM. If this does not fix it, it will be match striking time.......