HELP

karalee

Forum Newbie
Threads
We replaced the lower drive belt which is a long one an d an upper drive belt on a yard machine 13a7660g790 I believe is the model number and now the blade spin without being engaged and we no
Have neutral the mower just slowly keeps moving even with the brake fully pressed. We thought we might have to stretch the belts a little but running the blades and driving the mower have not helped. It is very unsafe what should we try next

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That model number isn't coming up in the mtd system, but one thing with mtd is you have to use mtd belts or they don't work. So if they are not OEM that may be part of the problem. If they are MTD belts, most mowers have an adjustment rod to hooks to the clutch petal that can be adjusted somewhat to return your neutral.

Without having the correct model number I can't narrow it down to which exact mower you have.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Pull the deck off.
Stand the mower up on its back wheels and take a few photos.
If the belts are the correct length then the routing is wrong and it is next to impossible to describe it in words.

Mower belts do not ever stretch.
In fact they get shorter due to the effect of the heat.
They get thinner because they wear on the sides and because they aare in a V shaped slot, run deeper in the V so become loose.
If any one starts talking about belt stretch, find another service person.

karalee

Forum Newbie
Threads
The model number is 13a 7660g752 1998 edition we didn't replace with mtd belts, we replace with Napa that is the closest parts store around here. Almost every one goes there and have never heard of them talking about this issue. Which belt drives the lawn mower is it the long lower drive belt or the upper 41in drive belt. Napa did cross reference the upper drive belt, but the former owner gave us the lower drive belt saying it needed replaced when he gave us the mower

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you are talking about the varidrive belts on the slidding sheave that changes the speeds then you must use genuine MTD belts
The MTD belt is wider, thinner and at a different angle to standard V belts.

karalee

Forum Newbie
Threads
Which belt runs the transmission so I know which one I need to look at for neutral

Bob E

Threads
Both belts run the transmission. You need to adjust the speed control linkage, but like it has been said it's usually a loosing battle with non MTD belts...
speed control.jpg