Help with starting problem

SimpRegent

Forum Newbie
Threads
It appears that I may have a problem with my starter. It seems that sometimes when I try to start the tractor it clicks or makes an errr sound like the battery is dead or weak. I have to turn the key back and forth until the starter finally starts cranking and she starts up. Most of the time she will start right up but occasionally when I try to start it cranked and stopped, I then turned the key back and forth until it finally started cranking again. Does this sound like a starter problem? Someone mentioned at an auto place that the valves may need adjustment but I found out that the Kohler CV15 is hydraulic and is self adjusting.

This does not happen often, most of the time she just turns over and starts right up.

Any suggestions as to what would cause this kind of issue? Can I fix this or would it be easier to change out the starter?

Thanks to all!!!

earthworm

Threads
The valves, of course, have nothing to do with this problem nor the starter system (includes the cables, alternator and battery .
I suspect a starter motor going south (bad spots on its communicator) ..
Do test the involved systems , of course .
On my Simplicity 4212, the starter ring gear is naked to the world, thus things are much easier to check, as opposed to most automobiles ...If the motor is recalicant(sp?) , just turn it a little bit and see what happens .

SimpRegent

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the reply!

New development, while waiting for advice, I decided to take the starter off to get the part number. It was very dirty and I could not read the sticker so I wiped it off and I wiped off all of the information and was left with a white sticker. I cleaned it up and put it back on.

NOW, when I crank her, there is a loud whine while cranking and a clank then she starts. Is there an alignment procedure to get the gears to mesh?

Also how do I test the starter if that was what you were saying to do.

Thanks again!