Help with information on lower drive belt, please?

jstpsgthru

Threads
Mower = 2007 Cub Cadet i1046 Hours = 400

Please tell me if you have ever come across this and whether I'm being played. Thank you for your kind attention.

I just had a Cub dealer replace the lower drive belt. Mower sounds fine when driving, but applying the brake makes the belt wobble and makes a vibration (sometimes flapping) sound. The dealer put it on the rack and showed me how applying the brake affects the belt. It doesn't look normal.

Two techs said there was nothing that can be done; it is because the belt is too tight and will decrease with time. I don't know if this means decreased belt life.

Thanks, again, for your help.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Compatable is not OEM part.
see above website, is your tractor CH710, CH709, CH010? google belt & idlers part #'s for best price, make sure brand is OEM Cub Cadet, thanks Mark

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Applying the brake should make the belt go just loose enough that it can slip on the engine pulley without the pulley burning the belt .
Old belts can take on a set and require a fair bit of running to get hot enough to pull the set bends out of them from being doubled or tripled inside the sleeves .
If the belt has been stored poorly so it got a lot of sun this set can take quite a while to work out.
I had this problem when I first started so now all of my belts are stored in boxes on the floor in the shade and the problem no longer occurs .

Now if that is a variable pulley drive, both of the belts should have been changed as a set
And the belts must be OEM specification and branded as such
Varidrive belts are not a standard cross section and running standard belts will cause you grief.

Because I am trysting I will say they are not good techs & you should find some one else to do your mower work .
The folk here can walk you through any job and make sure you have done it properly

For instance you flapping problem could also be wear in the tension arm pivot .

jstpsgthru

Threads
Compatable is not OEM part.
see above website, is your tractor CH710, CH709, CH010? google belt & idlers part #'s for best price, make sure brand is OEM Cub Cadet, thanks Mark
Thank you, very much. I called CC years ago, and was told they no longer had a service manual for my mower. I put it out of my mind. But, the link you provide has the i-series service manual!

I now have the owner's manual, parts manual and service manual.

I am 72 yo, definitely not a mechanic, and my health restricts some activities. I change filters and even remove the deck for cleaning and changing blades. I was pretty sure I didn't want to get on the ground to wrestle with the PTO. I thought the PTO had to be removed. Also, other sources led me to believe that steering rods needed to be realigned (which I was unsure of.) My main reason for wanting to know much more about the mower is to avoid bad experiences.

Thanks, again, for the link.

jstpsgthru

Threads
Applying the brake should make the belt go just loose enough that it can slip on the engine pulley without the pulley burning the belt .
Old belts can take on a set and require a fair bit of running to get hot enough to pull the set bends out of them from being doubled or tripled inside the sleeves .
If the belt has been stored poorly so it got a lot of sun this set can take quite a while to work out.
I had this problem when I first started so now all of my belts are stored in boxes on the floor in the shade and the problem no longer occurs .

Now if that is a variable pulley drive, both of the belts should have been changed as a set
And the belts must be OEM specification and branded as such
Varidrive belts are not a standard cross section and running standard belts will cause you grief.

Because I am trysting I will say they are not good techs & you should find some one else to do your mower work .
The folk here can walk you through any job and make sure you have done it properly

For instance you flapping problem could also be wear in the tension arm pivot .
Thanks, so much, for the helpful reply. My mower has only two belts. They are the deck belt, which I have changed about every year since 2007, and the "lower drive belt."

The lower drive belt (754-04134) is the one I feel I need help with. The dealer ordered the part on the day I took in the mower, so "new belt" could be the situation. But, that leaves me with another question, that I would appreciate your knowledge on, please. Would 400 hours be early for wear on the tension arm pivot? AND

Let's say the tension arm pivot could be the problem. Is there a way to test it, like free play? How safe would it be to ride it out until it's time for another LDB? It only sounds funny when the brake pedal is applied.

Sorry, mowing is about to be a weekly thing, and when I do work on anything, it takes me five times as long as anyone else. Now, I've got a lot of reading to do in my new service manual.

Thanks, again, for your kind assistance.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That is a little confusing
the transmission belt is above the deck belt right up high
So the term "lower drive belt " infers it is a varidrive transmission of some sort which some cubs do have
I got lazy and did not bother to check the specifications before answering your post .

jstpsgthru

Threads
Sorry. I am attaching the page from parts manual. Part # 62.

Attachments

• Lower Drive Belt Schematic.pdf
    312.2 KB · Views: 26

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
What you have is just one motion drive belt. Not upper and lower belts. But to make sure someone didn't swap the hood please the model number from the serial number. it should start with 17 but may start with 13.

954-04134 1/2 x 88.2 (88-3/8").

Did the shop put on a 88" belt?

And no it very possible the pivot point is worn just depends on much is having to move around during operation.

jstpsgthru

Threads
Thanks for the reply. I bought the mower new, in 2008. Model is listed on invoice that is attached.
The Owner's Manual listed the part # as 954-04134 "Lower Drive Belt" (attached)
The Parts Manual lists the part # as 754-04134 (88.4) V Belt (attached)

I also found the V Belt 954-04134 listed at "RepairClinic.com" as (88.2)
Cub Cadet's website states that 954** replaces 754** 88.2 is listed in extended info

Conspiracy? 😁😟🤷‍♂️

Anyway, l must assume that a Cub Cadet Dealer purchased an OEM part, and listed it correctly on the invoice.

This produces another quandary. Would .2 diff between 754** (original #) in Parts Manual and 954** at Cub Cadet Online Parts be enough to produce the judder, when new?

Do you have any suggestions for checking the tension arm pivot?

Thanks for your interest and assistance.

Attachments

• V Belt.pdf
    470.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Lower Drive Belt - OwnMan.pdf
    177.6 KB · Views: 6
  • MacEquip Inv 30970 V-Belt Replacement 2023 06-14.pdf
    126.8 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Just plain weird they called it a lower drive belt in the owners manual when obiviously there is only one drive belt.