Help with ID'ing 1957 Snapper Walk Behind

Seakaye12

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi,

Any vintage Snapper people on this forum? When I was a kid I used a Snapper Self-Propelled walk behind. It was purchased new at Brewer's Mowers in Millerton NY in 1957. I'd love to acquire one to rebuild. I've been looking for years and have never seen so much as a picture of the model I used to use.

It had the Briggs 80702 engine. The self-propelled mechanism was very heavy duty but was nothing like the designs used today. It had a transmission that was mounted on the deck behind the engine. It was driven by an under-deck belt. There were drive shafts that extended left and right that had pulleys and belts that drove the rear wheels. The operator had a lever to push forward that tensioned the belts.

It was a very heavy, very well made machine. Painted Snapper red and the Briggs was white. A real eye-catcher in its day.

Can someone help? I would like to know what model it was; that would help in searching for more information and/or pictures. There has to be someone out there that collects early Snappers. I'd love to communicate with you.

Thanks, Chuck