Help with ID and compression, pretty please.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yes exactly what needs to be done along with a valve job at the same time. Requires removing the valves and filing squarely. Got to be careful not to over do it. And the clearance are checked with the spring installed. L-head tend to close up the clearances until they are negative as where OHV tend open up the clearances leading to ACRs not working.

Firmly pressed down, what difference does the spring make? I understand if you have a weak spring, that could make some difference. But pulled flat is pulled flat, right?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I just going by what the service manuals state as the procedure. I have seen valves not fully seat due worn valve guides. And with the Briggs valve tool kits those GO - NO GO gauges don't work as intended.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
When i install a valve and set lash i set it .001 wide and about half the time when i install the spring and keeper it closes up the .001. Sometimes it doesn't. I could never justify a Neway cutter so i just redneck the seats with scotchbrite and a drill then lap in the valves.
Back in the day when i built 5hp briggs for go-cart racing i would double stack new guides in the block. The weak link of the 5hp briggs at 6500RPM is the valve guides.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Firmly pressed down, what difference does the spring make? I understand if you have a weak spring, that could make some difference. But pulled flat is pulled flat, right?
In my service manual they give 2 different valve lashes.
One for springs fitted & one for "held down" which is near twice the size
Did a couple that way and found the gap was too small when the springs were fitted even if I used the largest setting for no spring.

Last edited:

graydog

Threads
The ID plate isn't under the gas tank, so other than the tag in the pic, I can't find it. Where do they put them on these old tecumseh's?

Also, and just as important, the engine has compression. Except it's all going out the carburetor. So I'm guessing it has a valve stuck? Is that right? I can't hold my thumb over the carb tight enough to get a compression reading.

View attachment 51080 View attachment 51081

It's probably #000001

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I wished I had more customers like this. I finally get him on the phone and tell what I think it is, but I'd have to go on the clock to know for sure. Quote him 1/2 to diagnose, and he says, "Well, get it to it." (laughingly)

So as instructed by some of the brightest minds here at LawnWorld, I remove the head, get the valve freed up and working like it's supposed to. No side to side movement, can't turn them with my thumb. Cleaned everything up. The head gasket looked a little burnt on the exhaust side, so I flipped it to the intake side. Put the head back on and did the compression check and was getting 95lbs.
Hooked my gas tank to it, and fired it up. And she ran like a little kitten.
Now the good part.
I sent the customer a short video of the engine running. He calls and says "I have heard that engine run for 10 years. The first time I heard it run is when I was a young boy and my dad had just brought it home, brand new."
I suppose it's like a family heirloom. He said he had a lot of memories with that tiller.
At the end of the conversation is was do what ever it needs, I'll send you some money tomorrow. He's not been one to haggle about prices, parts money, diagnostic money. Or anything. I've been fair with the guy, and he's been fair right back.

Wished they all were like that.

BTW, I'm going to replace the headgasket, muffler, valve cover seal, battery and solenoid.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I just got the new head gasket on, looked up the torque, and what I'm seeing can't be right. Can it? 110 inch lbs?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
IF we are stilling talking about the HH60 it is 200 in lbs for the cylinder head. The 110 is for the intake pipe.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
IF we are stilling talking about the HH60 it is 200 in lbs for the cylinder head. The 110 is for the intake pipe.

Ah. I thought that was wrong. Thanks man.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The infomation is in the TECUMSEH-3HP-TO-11HP-4-CYCLE-L-HEAD-FLAT-HEAD-ENGINES-692509 available from K&T Parts House.