Help with Carb Kit

Berniebac

Threads
I am trying to put a carb kit (299852) in a Flojet carb for an 8 hp B & S engine and have run across two problems. First, I think my inlet valve and needle needs to be replaced. The kit includes the inlet valve needle, but not the valve that the needle seats into. Included with the kit is a package with a needle (with a viton tip) and a brass valve that it would seat into. This valve and needle are longer than the one that is in the carberator, so I don't think it is the correct one. Could it be a replacement part for the original part?

Would the inlet valve not be included with the kit? It is not shown as a separate part number in the parts diagram. Could there be a rubber bushing that should go inside the valve for the needle to seat into? I don't want to tear the seat out if I don't have a replacement.

Second, I am feeling play in the throttle shaft and my instructions say I should replace the throttle shaft seals if there is play in them. I am struggling to drift the pin that holds the throttle stop on the end of the throttle shaft. It is hard to hold the carberator, align a punch and hit it with a hammer. Any suggestions to make it easier to drift these pins?

Thanks in advance.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Would you post the engine numbers please. I want to check to see if you have the right kit.

Berniebac

Threads
Engine Numbers are: Mod No. 191707, Type No. 5627-01. Those are all the numbers I have on it.

Berniebac

Threads
Sorry, I just double checked and it looks like the Type No. is 5827-01, not 5627-01 and the Code No. is 82091011. Hope this is helpful and my apologies over the confusion. It is rusted a bit.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There are two different carb kits listed for your carb depending on your code number which your did not include. Its next to the type number 5627-01. The of kit is part #394698. You may have gotten it wrong kit.

Berniebac

Threads
Thanks for the info. I did find the code number and posted it above if that helps narrow it down. I guess I should go back to my supplier and see about the other kit using the code number to help get the correct kit. Thanks for the help.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You need the other carb kit. #394698

Berniebac

Threads
I just checked the suppliers web site and pat number 394698 is the kit that I received. It is the replacement for 299852.

Berniebac

Threads
My supplier tells me that a needle without a rubber tip requires a rubber seat and a needle with a rubber seat goes into a brass seat. My inlet valve is brass and the needle is steel, so I either have the wrong needle or need a rubber seat. My parts diagram just doesn't provide that level of detail to tell which is which.

Going by the parts that are in the carb may not work because I don't know who might have worked on it and if they used the proper parts.

Oh well, will have to tinker with it to see what I can come up with.

Berniebac

Threads
I think I found the solution. There is a rubber seat inside the inlet valve. There is also a rubber seat with the carb kit. All I have to do is pull out the old rubber seat and insert the new one. I do not have to replace the entire inlet valve.

Boy, talk about dumb!!!