Help with Briggs 8hp on Little wonder blower

Westbrooklawn

Forum Newbie
Threads
Older Little Wonder blower. Briggs 8hp, model 196432, type 1243-E1, code 9908021B, Ran without oil last year, smoked, lost power. Filled with oil and it ran fine last fall. Ran for 10 min. this year, loss of power, smoking, blowing oil out of carb. Pulled head, cylinder looks pretty good... some visible scratches but can't even feel them with fingernail. Valves seem to be operating fine, and from what I can see without pulling them the seating looks good. When I took the motor partially apart I discovered that the intake manifold? between the carb and block was very loose... I'm sure it was sucking air. Would this have caused the symptoms I saw? Can I do a compression test with the carb and muffler off? I'd like to fix this motor if I could. Anyone want to try to talk me through next steps? Thanks in advance.

Romore

Threads
I think you will find the rings and piston are badly scuffed if you tear it down, the cylinder must be cast iron sleeved to survive that. If the crankshaft is scored forget rebuilding. The current ohv engine will work as long as the crank shaft extension matches the old one but you will need to fabricate a mount.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Briggs list this as the replacement engine,
Briggs & Stratton 20S232-0063-F1-SD2 Horizontal Engine, 3/4" x 2-17/32" shaft